External Hard Drive recommendations?

anskyber 19:47 02 May 06

Now I imagine there will be those who think I have a major dose of paranoia but please just humour me. I have a new PC which has 2x 250 gigs of hard drive in a RAID 1 array, in other words all data (and I think the OS as well) is stored on both discs so in the event of a disc falure the other will continue working and also be able to copy all data back to a replacement disc.

Thats fine, but in the event of an irreversible failure of both say through a virus or something similar, back up in the form of an "imaged" drive by Acronis would be more than useful. As a final point I envisage keeping very old data such as pictures off the PC so an external hard drive would be ideal for that task as well.

After this long introduction can anyone recommend such a device and in doing so comment on whether it has it own power supply or is reliant on power from the PC say through a USB.

Joe R 20:03 02 May 06

anskyber,

got myself a 250Gb freecom classic sl, just before Xmas, and have found it a pleasure to work with.

It has it's own external power cable, so is not reliant on the psu in your system.

click here

anskyber 21:06 02 May 06

Thanks for that. I think something like that will do the job very well.

ade.h 21:10 02 May 06

click here Two recommendations in that thread.

welshbenson 21:15 02 May 06

Western Digital 80GB from Staples £49.99

jarani 21:26 02 May 06

welshbenson - is that wd80gb still available from staples ? jarani

jarani 21:41 02 May 06

welshbenson - my flyer ( Reading ) shows lacie 250gb at £99.99 - jarani

Danoh 10:36 03 May 06

I got an ICY Box with a 250Gb IDE hard drive from click here as the blue LED lights won our votes.

To avoid stressing any PC's power supply unit, it has its own transformer (PSU) and attaches via USB 2.0 cable.
Works well with my Acronis True Image 9 installation.

However, be aware you are imaging a RAID 1 setup.
As well as space considerations for other old data backups you have mentioned.

Totally-braindead 11:29 03 May 06

I have an external hard drive and because I had a spare IDE hard drive I just bought this enclosure click here+ works very well and comes with own power supply. Another lot of external enclosures are listed here click here some are for SATA drives and some are for IDE, some are USB and some are USB and firewire.

I'm very pleased with my Novatech unit, and its a lot cheaper if you have a drive lying about than buying a dedicated external drive.

Totally-braindead 11:49 03 May 06

Just found this on another thread if you're interested click here hard drive enclosure for £13.99, now thats cheap.

welshbenson 12:27 03 May 06

Bought it in December 2005 so may be more GB for same price now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…