External hard disk case problems

Petulant 09:41 02 Apr 07

After being over the moon that I could 'rescue' the hard drive out of my dead laptop by inserting it into a cheap hard disk casing with USB I have now managed to lose access to it.

It worked very well for a week or two then after a power cut it started failing and sometimes would not show up or would show up but not allow access.

My question is do you think it is the hard case itself that's the problem and would it work to just buy another one and move it into this, rescue my info off it then just keep DVD back-ups of everything rather than rely on an external hard drive that could fail any time?

I have tried a file recovery software but it doesn't work and now I am stumped :(

Hope someone can help!

Spark6 14:30 02 Apr 07

It is possible that the hard drive you rescued from the laptop has finally 'died'. I trust you saved the data on it when you first connected it via the external case.

The way to go now is to try another drive, preferably a known sound one, in the case to prove it.

jack 14:33 03 Apr 07

Do try another drive first to prove the case is functioning.
I recently came across a 2.5 inch 'Caddy' that was also 'Iffy' I happen to have an IDE to USB cable
This enables a 'naked' drive [3.5 or 2.5] to sit on the desk top connected a USB to run.
These items are available from click here co.uk[or com]- with or without separate power supply[mine is has the power supply]
The drive via this worked fine,
In the caddy very iffy- sometimes would sometimes would not read.

Petulant 17:57 03 Apr 07

thanks for both your replies.

Would like to try the adaptor but only if I have an idea the drive is still ok - now the dilemma of where do I get another drive to try out?

I did retrieve most of my mp3's and THOUGHT I had got all my photos (a large collection!) but it turned out the Kodak software had just been reading them from the drive and I stupidly hadn't realised I had not transferred them.

It's very annoying!!

Thanks again :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…