External drive for dumping files

Mike_R 20:48 05 Aug 09

I'm having difficulty in backing up my files onto a CD via the Vista facility. Would it be better to dump them onto an external drive which I could,perhaps, also transfer to a laptop?
If so, I would welcome advice on where to purchase such a device.
I've yet to buy a laptop but am working myself up to spending the money!

GaT7 21:14 05 Aug 09

An external hard disk is more convenient & versatile compared to backing-up to CD/DVD.

What's your budget, & what disk capacity do you need?

Would you prefer a physically smaller, self-powered one (more expensive), or one that requires an external adapter? G

Mike_R 23:31 05 Aug 09

I think that a self powered one would be better. I have two 230Gb hard drives but as yet have only used a quarter of that in total.
No limit to budget, within reason.

GaT7 22:01 06 Aug 09

Most of these will be USB-powered

160Gb click here

250Gb click here. Post if in doubt.

To keep costs down, don't forget to choose the cheapest 'Super Saver' delivery mode at checkout.

Just to put the prices into perspective, a regular 1Tb (4 times a 250Gb) external one click here (with the free del option), costs only £20 more than its 250Gb portable cousin click here! G

GaT7 22:17 06 Aug 09

Also check your local Sainsburys, where some stores are apparently doing a 250Gb Seagate for £40.

And consider a 250Gb Western Digital one for £45 at Amazon click here. G

Woolwell 23:10 06 Aug 09

PC World have a sale on for Iomega 500Gb drives click here

Mike_R 17:16 07 Aug 09

Thanks everyone. In the end I bought a Maxtor 500GB Hard Drive USB2.0 8MB Cache from EBuyer at £47.99

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5