External Drive Compatability With Dell Computer

Bapou 23:07 31 Oct 06

Having just recently bought a Dell computer I'm now looking to buy an external drive for backups.

It's a first for me and want to make sure I buy the right brand just in case there could be a compatibility issue with Dell machines and certain products.

If there compatibility issues with any make I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Danoh 23:31 31 Oct 06

I'm not aware of any issues that would manifest themselves.
As a new computer, your DELL is most likely to have USB 2.0 ports but its worth checking.
Most external drives have USB 2.0 connections which would match your DELL's USB 2.0 ports.

Some external drives also have Firewire 400 or even 800 connections. Obviously to be able to use these, your DELL would also have to have the equivalent Firewire 400 or 800 which is rare.

I use a USB 2.0 external harddrive without any issue on 2 Evesham, 1 MESH and 1 Sony, which are 1 - 5 years vintage.

Bapou 12:40 01 Nov 06

Thanks Danoh, that's what I was hoping would be the answer. There's 6 USB connections so no problem there.

Now I can go choose with more confidence.

Danoh 14:03 01 Nov 06

Loads of choice at very good value nowadays! Have fun hunting!

I've tended to go for internal drives for automated backups myself. My external drive was primarily for laptop backup but it has since proven itself for at least 2 other important operations.
My next step is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) which can act as a proper file server without having to leave a computer switched on.
Then all networked computers can have their data backed up onto that.

flyboy 20:54 02 Nov 06

I have a Dell 2400 and have never had a problem using western digital, hitachii, samsung or packard bell hard drives, some new and some OEM.

I have a mix of these, both internal and external.

I've never a problem with this kind of mix which I started using when my original HD failed.

All pics, data, iso's etc, and true image backups are maintained on the external packard bell.

Just decide what you want and go ahead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…