External Back Up Hard Drive

THOMASIO 21:23 22 Dec 04

I would like to buy an External Hard Drive to back up my system.Has anyone hands on experience of the Seagate 200gb or the MAXTOR one touch drive external drives,how easy are they to use? I am not a very experienced operator.

Modo 22:17 22 Dec 04

Easy but the software is the key.

The Maxtor comes with Retrospect which is OEM limited functionality. The key program - One Touch works from one computer but the interface makes it look like flying a jumbo jet. Fail to understand it and then go to the website for help and you are in danger of being persuaded to spend a fortune on software upgrades.

It depends what you want to back up. Files only i.e. My Docs no problem. But Windows Back up is fine for this. Operating system and you are in a different league. Even when you think you have a rock solid back up when the crunch comes you'll invariably find it bombs on you.

If I had known then what I know now I'd have fitted every computer with a second hard drive. With Windows XP and SP2 it's no more difficult the building Lego!! AND IT IS MILES CHEAPER.

mole44 22:57 22 Dec 04

like you i bought a maxtor with the one touch,great drive but like you could not for my life get the one touch to work,i`m fairly computer savvy.in fact i started in computers when they were mechanical in the 60`s.your right about the jumbo jet,i fly them on flight sim 2004 and they are easier.

JAN-BOY 23:18 22 Dec 04

My solution was to buy a USB2 Hard Drive caddy and a seperate hard drive.
The only draw back is I believe you are limited to 120GB but somebody will correct this if I am wrong.

Mine works a treat and no problem to set up.

grumpy-git 00:02 23 Dec 04

JAN-BOY / THOMASIO,

I bought an Icy Box USB2 hard drive caddy, the specifications say you can fit a drive >250GB. I chose a 160GB drive, and fitted it into the caddy without any problems. When plugged into my XP machine it worked without any other software needing to be installed.

My other external drives are by Maxtor & La Cie. I use PowerQuest DataKeeper to backup my data that changes frequently, but have never had to do any major restores as yet.

Other data is just "copied" directly to external drives.

G-G

Modo 08:00 23 Dec 04

Thanks for the feed back on the caddy option. My only worry is how robust the drive will be for an important process like backing up. It has put me off so far.

Mole re the Maxtor; One Touch is easy and it works. Ignore all the buttons and dials and look for the wheel!! Also make sure the drivers are up to date from the website, in my case that was what finally got it functioning. I did test it and it did a good but not perfect restore.

jack 09:35 23 Dec 04

1 Robustness - the Hard drive unit is the same as in your PC.
2 Caddy or Ready made - you choose - going the caddy route allows you to 'custom build'
I 'Custom built' my 200 Gb one.

3 Any software that comes with a ready made or
caddy/self build is best left in the box.
The drive simply recognised as a new drive by
ME/2000/XP you may need drivers for 98SE.

THOMASIO 16:35 23 Dec 04

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. My computer came from Dell. When I go to the hard drive and right click, BACK UP does not appear as an option. Bearing this in mind can if anyone can tell me how to do the backup in Windows I would be much obliged.
Obviously the MAXTOR is not as easy to use as it would appear when reading about it from the various vendors.

freaky 21:01 23 Dec 04

I bought a Maxtor One Touch because I have found their drives to be very reliable. I do not use the supplied software i.e. Retrospect and One Touch. Instead I bought Norton Ghost, and use this
to clone a copy of drive (C)to the Maxtor.

If my Drive (C) should fail, and I fit a new drive, then I can install Norton Ghost onto the new drive. Once this is done, then I can clone everything from the Maxtor to the new drive. I am then back to the situation I was at before the failure...saves a lot of hassle!!!

rickf 21:16 23 Dec 04

Follow the advice. Buy an ICY Box Caddy with usb2 and firewire for just over £20 and fit your own H/D. Its a very sturdy aluminium box which flashes blue when active, ie transferring files.

xquest 21:22 26 Dec 04

I use an Iomega 80Gb external drive - they are cheaper and larger now than when I got mine. The software is not too bad - tends to hog the machine but you can schedule it to come on when you want.

Alternatively some of the MP3 players (eg the iRiver) with a 40Gb hard drive can be used as a backup device. My Iomega backup software can be used with the iRiver - but I don't know whether it would work if the Iomega hard drive wasn't there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…