Evsham Evolution or Dell Dimension ?

CodeMeister 20:11 28 Oct 03

Hi

I need to buy a new computer and have narrowed it down to either an Evesham Evolution Blue Lightning or a Dell Dimension.

Does anyone have any views on either of these systems ?

One major criteria is that I don't want it to be noisy as it's going to be in a living room.

Magazine reviews never seem to mention how noisy a PC is.

I think Dell have a way of routing the air straight out of the back of the case, negating the need for an extra fan which should make it quieter.

Would the Dell be less upgradable with them using proprietory motherboards ?

I'm a bit concerned about the Dell "Clam" design case which means that cables have to stretch from one side to the other when it is opened on its hinge.

I want to use the system primarily for programming with Visual Studio .Net and would be looking for a P4 2.8 Ghz, 1Gb RAM and a decent graphics card.

I'm not interested in gaming so something like a Radeon ATI 9800 (non pro) graphics card would suffice.

I'd like to source the monitor elsewhere as the brand new 17" LG Flatron with 16ms response time looks quite cool and seem better than the Philips (Evesham) and Dell flat panel monitors.

Does anyone know how long it will take for the considerable price reductions on Pentium 4 processors that Intel made over the weekend to filter down to PC prices ?

Any advice would be most welcomed.

anchor 09:19 29 Oct 03

The only comment I would make is that if "after sales service" is important to you, then choose Evesham.

Evesham Support 09:53 29 Oct 03
  keenan 10:28 29 Oct 03

Customer support and a good warranty are important- Evesham get my vote.

Sir Radfordin 10:40 29 Oct 03

My experience of Dell is that they are one of the best, and if I could afford to buy from them in all cases I would. They are however a tad more expensive. We used them in a company I worked for and never had problems getting things sorted. Also had a nice account manager who gave good quotes :)

Evesham however failed 3 times to supply a working machine for testing when we were looking to change our supplier. Even when they did get a working machine to us it had the wrong OS on it. They sent an engineer out with a replacement hard drive which should've had the correct OS. It didn't so he stayed to re-install it. Needless to say they didn't get the business.

The Dell PC's are almost silent, I don't think it should be a major concern how the cables are routed. Their flat screen monitors are also pretty nice and its very rare to have any dead pixles. Bought over 50 in one batch and didn't have one with a fault.

Smudge 11:44 29 Oct 03

I have recently purchased a Dell 8300 with 17inch LCD, pentium 4 2.6ghz (hyperthread model) 512k ram, cdrom/cdrw and seperate dvd, nice graphics card (dvi to run the dvi flat panel) Win XP etc etc, also got a free printer and all came well under ?1000-hunt the web for special partner offer like free delivery or 10% off (which I got).

Delivery was very swift-just over a week from placing order. Courier took it to wrong address at wrong time-I complained to Dell (not really their fault in a way) and got delivery charge refunded next day.

I would go with Dell Dimension, I have the 2400 desktop and it is brillant, but each to there own, I would go with the flow with what other people are saying.

Smudge 15:30 29 Oct 03

I meant 512mb of ram, 512k would have been a bit of a con!!!!!!

CodeMeister 16:18 29 Oct 03

Hi

Many thanks to all of those who have replied so far.

Could those of you with Dell Dimension please say how noisy their PCs are as this really is a major requirement ?

Many thanks indeed

gold 47 16:56 29 Oct 03

Evesham for me i have two of them never let me down.

mole44 17:04 29 Oct 03

evesham,the rolls royce of uk pc`s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…