Evesham vs Mesh vs Dell

ZootHornRollo 08:55 29 Sep 03

I am looking to buy a new PC in the next 6 weeks or so. At the moment I have a 3 year old Dell which is beginning to creak. Dell comes out most expensive against my preferred spec ( have their prices shot up over the last couple of years ? )so I am leaning towards Evesham or Mesh. The latter has thye best spec compared to value for money but there are more horror stories about them than anyone else it seems. So any views anyone would care to share before I part with the cash ?

Falkyrn 09:35 29 Sep 03

Go for what suits your requirements

The three suppliers that you have listed have all featured in these columns at one time or another. What you should remember though is that they are major suppliers and the number of complaints is but a small fraction of what they turn out week after week.

anchor 09:50 29 Sep 03

Based upon my own experience, if you consider after sales support, including on-site, more important, then it has to be Evesham.

Evesham Support 10:02 29 Sep 03
  anchor 13:01 29 Sep 03

If in doubt, read this thread:

click here

If that is`nt service, I don`t know what is.

Flak999 14:49 29 Sep 03

I must agree, i have had an evesham machine for about 2 and a half years, it has performed excellently, and on the one occasion that i have had a problem it was dealt with very quickly and profesionally, I have nothing but praise for them!

Stuartli 16:14 29 Sep 03

I ordered a system from Mesh for the first time at the beginning of September (for a elderly friend in fact).

It arrived at 10.15am on the day promised, worked without problems after being set up and configured and is still running smoothly.

The only serious heartbreak was the fact that the £745 (including delivery) Mesh system was beaten, a few days later, by a similar Dell system coming on offer with an 80GB rather than 40GB HDD and a DVD rewriter rather than a DVD-ROM drive at a price of £742 (including delivery)...:-(

It had originally been nearer £900 than £800.

But if everyone waited for prices to drop, as we know they inevitably do every few weeks or so, we'd never buy a system at all.

johnnyrocker 17:47 29 Sep 03

zoot you could have a look click here you might be surprised.

cheers.

johnny,

Chunkster#1 18:01 29 Sep 03

I bought an Evesham last year, and to be honest, although the service was OK-ish, I have more of an issue with the approach they took to XP i.e. on the one hand the PC's are sold with XP on the basis that it is plug & play, and you can load what you want (within reason - and let's be clear about this: I am not a major gamer not did I load any non-standard applications in my view). However, as soon as the registrt starts to get corrupted, the line comes out that "you must only load software that is MS XP approved" and the clear impression you get is that XP, bless its cotton socks, is flawed. Long & short of it is that a) next time I am going to Dell (I know quite a few businesses that use them regularly, and swear by them) or b) time to try a Mac.

bfoc 18:23 29 Sep 03

I have had all three makes and would, usually, recommend Evesham, especially if support is important.

I have had some problems (just my luck!) with machines from all 3 and found Evesham to be the most supportive, best to contact and most flexible in their response. In my, admittedly limited experience Mesh 'created' most problems. However, I personally know many people who are really pleased with their Mesh machines and there will doubtless be many, many satisfied Mesh and Dell customers out there.

Ultimately you should decide which is the best value for you, taking into account how important support would actually be for you.

The odds surely are that whichever you choose you will get a good machine.

no1ghoul 18:32 29 Sep 03

Thanks for the plug!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…