Evesham Problems

Rebanut 12:26 05 Aug 04

Before I start to moan I realise a lot of this is my fault, firstly let me say that I am no youngster and as much as I Love PC's I know very little, about a year ago I bought a new PC from Evesham and it was a media pc with the ability to watch and record tv, when I got the machine the remote control and a whole host of wires and cables came seperatly, well I tried for weeks to make all this work but to no avail, I decided to call the helpline and let someone guide me thro it but after about 30 mins the guy on the phone gave up too, so last week I emailed Evesham and asked if an engineer could call just to help with these probs, the machine did come with 2yrs onsite warranty, their reply took my breath away, for some guy to call and I would think take mins to sort this out is going to cost me £100 + VAT, well it wont cos I will just forget having a Media machine and next time it wont be Evesham for a PC, I know I left all this for too long but I didnt expect that from a company who has had praise from me in the past.

anchor 13:57 05 Aug 04

I think that your comments are most unkind. If sales of computers were limited to those who are experts or IT professionals, I suspect that Evesham for one would not exist; neither would most of the names we are familiar with. The industry must carry much of the responsibility in promoting PC`s as easy for anyone to use.

Whilst I do not propose to go into details about the £100 cost for the visit of an Evesham engineer, (although it seems well over the top), I would dispute that a call on 50 such customers would cost the company tens of thousands of pounds. This would mean at least £400 per call; incredible!.

I hope the attitude of the support industry is not that if we don`t know how to use them, then we are too stupid to own one. A joke, as you say, but I suspect there is a grain of truth in the sentiment or you would not repeat it.

TBH1 14:10 05 Aug 04

I had an Evesham jobbie some years ago - -it came with an "idiot sheet " (no disrespect intended ) - -a chart explaining what wire went where.

No use to you I guess - - -

Baledor 14:22 05 Aug 04

I never said restrict sales to experts or IT professionals, if you read the text I said 'they not expect a layman to purchase something which they had no knowledge about'

On your point about the cost, I have no idea what the true cost of sending out an engineer to someone’s house would be, but you have questioned my statement that it would run into tens of thousands of pounds, well lets take your figure of £400, 400 * 50 = £20,000, 2 cases of tens of thousands of pounds there, I am assuming you agree with me then.

I think the attitude of anyone within the IT industry and suppliers alike, is there has to be a point when you say 'I cannot support you anymore in this', if you were on a college course and after 2 months the tutor could see you were not learning something, they would suggest that your ability to learn the subject possibly just doesn't exist.

The point I am making is that people rush out to buy these things, with little or no knowledge, and they are not cheap, then they come back to people like me or Evesham and complain that they cannot use them, and imply that there is a technical fault with the system, I would say that 95% of calls I attend are user caused problems.

anchor 15:00 05 Aug 04

Yes I would agree with you that the vast majority of problems are caused by the user. Obviously the support that a manufacturer gives cannot be infinite. As I said earlier, the industry must take a lot of the responsibility for promoting computers as easy to use as any domestic appliance; which we all know they are not.

As regards costs of sending an engineer, my figure of £400 per call was based on your remark that sending one to 50 people would run into thousands of pounds. Like you, I have no idea of the actual cost, but I would have guessed that £60-80/hour would be nearer the mark.

I also agree that there are people who seem never to able to grasp the complexities of running a PC, (we have all met them), but we must try. Some people are just slow learners.

Baledor 15:08 05 Aug 04

the guy had it a year, for £100 + VAT (£117.50) he could have had an Evesham technician come out and install it for him, works out at .32 pence a day, a bargain for the year it has sat there.

On another point, which I should have acknowledged in a previous post, I do agree with you that PCs are advertised as easy to use systems, with Windows "the most user friendly yet!", which when everything is fine is ok, when its not, things are a little more complicated.

And now we have the Windows Media Centre trying to take over the front room, expect more situations like Rebanuts'

Magik ®© 15:11 05 Aug 04

why not start at the beginning, ask on here, if you have not already done so, and i am sure some guy or girl will know exactly what to do..

fishyfingers 15:23 05 Aug 04

I agree with Baledor to an extent.

Customers want the cheapest deal without concern about where the cost cuts are made. With smaller margins made on a sale less money is available to provide support and help later on and so we end up with a bug-bear of mine, premium rate support.

When help is needed, the customer cries out in frustration when it is inadequate.

Yes the company chose to sell the goods at a lower cost than their competitor but only because they want to exist in the industry and this is one of the few ways they can. It's a cut-throat market and from my perspective it looks to be getting worse as new buyers look for cheaper goods.

Rebanut - tell us what your problem is, from what i've seen the guys and gals on this forum love a challenge and will help wherever they can.

Rebanut 15:39 05 Aug 04

Yes maybe I can get some help on here but have no time now, but in answer to Baledor the main problem I had is that there were no instructions or whatever that came with it, so for a novice like myself I was working completly in the dark,
thanks anyway for all the replies.

spuds 00:35 06 Aug 04

The computer companies are losing thousands of pounds, and the IT professionals are under constant strain in servicing the industry.Why is it that some companies can offer a first rate service and other companies regard their money paying customers as that of a intolerable pest.Look at the build and prices advertised and quoted, seem to fair in a similar way by most manufacturers. But the big difference seems to be on the final choice of who will give the help when needed, and at what extra price.

I know of one company, whose service engineers
use to mark their report cards with certain abreviated remarks. One main remark that was used on to many occasions: TIITC= The idiot in the chair [the customer].This same customer provided,some of the funds which helped to pay for, and establish the company. Without him the service engineer may not have had employment, irrespect of what qualifications he may hold.

Perhaps the local computer shop, as more that its advantages. At least, there is usually someone there who will listen and perhaps offer advice when needed. [Rant over]

Col Urban 09:26 06 Aug 04

The "idiot sheet" that Evesham supplied to myself only complicated matters. I was scratcjing my head for a while - the sheet had a photo of 2 PCs on the back with the relevant connections but neither photo related to my PC. It was only after totally dis-regarding the idiot sheet and reading the mother board manual that it became apparent where all the leads should go.

It must mean it was written by an idiot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…