Ethernet

Malapoa1 07:47 12 Aug 13

My PC is connected to a Wifi modem by an ethernet cable. Recently my speed has dropped suddenly by 1.2 Mbs (4.5 - 3.3}. Could this be caused by the failure of the cable and the PC reverting to the Wifi connection? According to the speed checker it is the speed at PC that has fallen not the speed at the modem which has remained constant (4.81). I have carried out a through check on the PC and emptied the cache. Advice please.

nickf 13:58 12 Aug 13

Try disconnecting LAN cable , see what speed you get . This will help with diagnosis . Next I would check the drivers are upto date .

Zak 19:26 12 Aug 13

Try re-booting the router - switch off, leave for 15 minutes and then re-connect; best done early morning when traffic is lower. If speed still low I suggest you contact your ISP technical support and lodge a fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…