Epson printer ink - worth the money ?

WhiteViper 20:57 08 May 06

So, it appears that the cost of replacing the ink cartridges in my Epson R300 on 2 occasions is the same as the purchase cos of a new printer !

I'm therefore looking round for more competitively priced printer ink, but I absolutely do not want to compromise on quality (I print off far too many photo's of my little baby !!) - if Epson ink is the best then I'll stick to it.

Any recommendations for other ink that I could try ?

SG Atlantis® 20:58 08 May 06

choice stationery less than £20 for a full set from their plus range.

rmcqua 21:40 08 May 06

I have an Epson C86 (black cart. + 3 colour carts), which I use, amongst other things, for high quality photos. I have tried all sorts of compatibles and though some have been reasonable for text, none has come anywhere near the Epson originals for photo prints. This includes Choice, which is the brand I have tried most recently. I know others will disagree and claim that Choice are indistinguishable from Epson originals in quality, but that has not been my experience.
Believe me, WhiteViper, I have no wish to pay the horrible prices that are charged for Epson originals, but I shall continue to do so until a true equivalent comes along. I sometimes manage to find decent deals on originals on EBay, especially on time expired cartridges, with which I have never had a problem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:59 08 May 06

I've used Choice for over 2 years and I have had an epson r300 for nearly that time. The cartridges are superb and never dry up.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:01 08 May 06

click here for the link and they are offering 5 blacks + 2 of every colour for £33 inc post.

Totally-braindead 22:16 08 May 06

Epson printer ink - worth the money ? you ask.

In my opinion no. I also use Choice and the quality of the colour to me is the same. Epson claim that their ink lasts longer and resists fading using Durabrite technology I think they call it. But I personally would just print another picture if it faded a few years down the line. Besides that I have yet to see if the original Epson are any better at resisting fading than compatibles.

So I'll stick to my Choice compatibles, plus they hold more ink I think.

flycatcher 22:22 08 May 06

Boots are selling a full (six) set of carts for the Epsom 200, 300 etc for about £35.

Stuartli 00:05 09 May 06

The cheapest Epson compabtibles (by Sumvision of MP3 and Flash Drives fame) I've discovered so far are from click here

I paid £3.98 for a full set of six compatibles (ordered three sets plus p and p which totalled £17.81 and delivered from Dundee next working day by CityLink).

On average, if you work on the basis that an Epson original cartridge for my R300 is £12 and that I get 18 compatible cartridges for that price, you can work out for yourself the price penalty.

I cannot, in my wildest dreams, imagine that Epson can substantiate charging a price for its orignal cartridges that is 1800 per cent higher.

What's more (and I'm not sure at the moment on this point) if Epson cartridges only hold 13ml of ink and compatibles such as the ones I mention contain 19ml, then the difference in cost is even higher.

Makes Gordon Brown's petrol excise duty plus VAT seem cheap in comparison.

12ml or 19ml of inkjet cartridge ink at approximately £12 against nearly three gallons of petrol at the same price...:-)

It also appears to explain Epson's intensity in seeking to stop the sale of compatible cartridges for its printers in many areas of the world.

spuds 09:13 09 May 06

In some cases it would appear to be a cheaper alternative to replace the printer instead of the cartridges, more so on basic printer models, but consider that some new printers are supplied with 'trial' cartridges (half capacity!).

I have used compatibles from these click here in the past, they seem okay.

Smiler 11:51 09 May 06

I have an Epson R300 and I buy a set of genuine Epson inks for £25 from the computer fair in Bristol :-)

Smiler 11:53 09 May 06

PS and I use a chip resetter to get about 25% more use out of the carts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…