Emigrating - notebook here or desktop there?

Petulant 17:36 15 Apr 03

We're moving to Turkey in a few months and need a pc to work on & keep in touch with family (and we love the internet!) We have a desktop pc now but are considering either buying a desktop in Turkey or buying a laptop before we go so I can transfer all my files etc.
Has anyone any advice? Are there problems with laptops operating abroad I should be aware of?
Last time I visited Turkey I tried an Internet cafe but was unable to access my MSN emails or get on messenger so I'm worried this is all going to be more complicated than I thought.

graham 20:25 15 Apr 03

No problems taking a lap-top to Turkey, but a desktop is better if it is to be used at home.

My suggestion would be to take your hard drive with you to fit in a new PC and send the new PCs hard drive to the new owner of your old PC.

Petulant 09:44 22 Feb 05

I had to add an update for anyone in the same predicament.
I networked my desktop and laptop, transferred everything over and took the laptop to Turkey.
Now I'm living in Turkey and find the pc's available here are great and up to the minute specs. I probably would have saved a lot of hassle just saving the files I wanted onto cd-roms and buying a desk top over here.
Took a while to get a phone line but once in got internet connection for about 20 quid. You buy an adaptor for 100 dollars that gives you broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…