Email address hijacked, Freeserve don't care

DIYgirl 12:19 21 Mar 04

I use a Freeserve email address and for the last week have been receiving upwards of 6,000 emails a day bounced back to me as undeliverable and so on. Only I didn't send them. My email address has been hijacked, it would seem: the part before the @ sign is not my email address, but the part after the @ sign is the same as mine.

The obvious thing to do would be to change my email address, but this would be very difficult, if not impossible. I use the email address for the peacock rescue center that we run (anybody want a peacock?), and it is in all my advertising, and included in lots of links on various websites. If we changed it we would miss lots of emails about birds in distress, which we really don't want to do.

Freeserve is being unhelpful. Their first reponse was to tell me that I had a virus: I have scanned using Norton (updated), PC Cillin on-line service, and also using Stinger, and we are virus-free. Their second email suggested that I try to track down the originator of the emails and complain to their ISP, but the instructions they gave me on how to do this were not helpful. Since then, they have not responded to my emails.

I have posted about this on the Helproom forum too, including the full text of Freeserve's responses, if you are interested--the thread was titled "800 emails returned--and I didn't send any of them!" or somethign like that.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on how we can deal with this? How to get Freeserve to be more helpful, or how to stop this continuing? I am having to delete all these messages eveyr day and it is wasting a huge amount of time, and driving me nuts.

Forum Editor 13:11 21 Mar 04

It's best not to post threads on the same subject in two separate forum areas. This is said to make your life easier - you'll find it hopelessly confusing when people start responding to both threads - it will irritate forum members too.

That said, I'm going to close this thread as your problem should really be in Helproom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…