Elitum. Elite Bar

Lavenham 23:09 22 Mar 05

I am running Windows XP. This keeps being found by Spybot. I have innumerable pop-ups ever since my son went on a games site which I'm sure is connected? I have cleaned advanced mode Spybot but ads such as: ads1.searchmiracle and ads1.searchrevenue keep appearing anyone help? I am worried about using emails or banking incase anyone is checking my inputs. My virus scan is clean.

Totally-braindead 23:32 22 Mar 05

I have found this click here it does appear to be a form of spyware and there are manual instructions for the removal of it on the website. But before you try it I would strongly suggest you create a System Restore point and I'm unsure about any of the links this website suggests as to removal tools etc, so I wouldn't try them until someone else on the Forum who has actually seen and removed this spyware has vouched for them. Personally I only use AVG, adaware, spybot and the Microsoft Antispyware. Leave the thread open and I'm sure someone more knowledgable will help.

georgemac © 08:30 23 Mar 05

click here this should do the trick - create a restore point first, tehn reboot into safe mode (tap f8 after post) and run the programme

post back if it works - this will help others

have been reading that it is best to do all spyware scans in safe mode, which I never do, may give it a try.

pauldonovan 11:13 23 Mar 05

...i've found it quite useful as it will inform you if anything installs itself in your startup or as a browser helper object as a lot of these do.

It also monitors your hosts file (a common virus/trojan trick is to change virus update addresses to be in your hosts) and your internet startup page etc.

georgemac © 12:10 23 Mar 05

I use a hosts file from click here and simply copy it to my windows/system32/drivers/etc folder I then use the batch file further down that page to lock the hosts file so it cannot be altered

whether the spyware nasties could unlock it and then make the changes I don't know

the latest nasties like the one above and the msn messenger virus seem to be able to change your system at will which is very worrying

the messenger virus disabled system restore on my son's pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…