Economical multifunction printer

Aspman 14:19 02 Apr 07

Me beloved Canon MP360 packed in the other day with a jiggered print head. Since the cost of a replacement is close to the price of a new printer it's time to change.

I'll less worried about up front costs as I am about running costs.

The other half is a teacher who prints a great deal of documents in b/w (we have been happily running the Canon on 99p carts for nearly 3 years).

We don't print many pictures, we find it cheaper to take a bulk CD of images to the local photographers and get them for 10p each.

I've got really no idea now about printers. We'd like the multifunction printer with an offline copying facility.

I've no real preference on brand (except I can't stand Lexmark).

Hackwatch 14:46 02 Apr 07

I print mostly in 'Draft' mode with my EpsonStylus DX4800.
Best multifunction printer i have owned.

Aspman 16:46 02 Apr 07

I'll at that one ta.

The Canon MP510 was also standing out (being a happy Canon customer anyway).

Al94 19:37 02 Apr 07

Try Argos for HP c3180 at the moment, down to £34.99

squillary 02:00 03 Apr 07

Why not go for a mono laser MFP instead of tolerating shoddy inkjets with ther poor cart lifetime?

A Samsung SCX4200 is pretty good click here

Aspman 11:48 04 Apr 07

The Samsung gets a bit of a ticking off for poor copying which is something we do a lot of.

We'd also need to buy a colour printer in addition.

mich1 13:37 04 Apr 07

help
I am just in the process of buying a new computer and need an all in one for copying, printing, photos and faxing if possible. Do i go for inkjet or laser and which is the best model for around £100..
Thanks

Aspman 15:47 04 Apr 07

Depends what you are needing. If you never need to print colour then get a laser. If you need to print photos then you'll need a good inkjet.

I print in mono normally, sometimes we need a bit of colour but rarely print out photos.

I'm thinking about a mono laser mfp with a cheap colour inkjet on the side later.

squillary 03:07 07 Apr 07

Aspman: Can you point me to a review of the Samsung that runs down its print quality. I searched and couldn't find a single one. All considered it perfect - especially at its price point.

In any case, the worst laser in the world is ten times as good print quality as the best inkjet in the world.

FatboySlim71 09:23 08 Apr 07

I can highly recommend the mentioned HP Photosmart C3180, I have owned one for 6 months or so and its the best all in one I have owned. I have owned 3 Canon all in ones, and everyone has failed with print head failure after less than 18 months. I have owned several Epson's as well but I found these very problematic with clogged printheads (and I did use it often) so it was not due to a lack of use.

The thing with HP printers is that everytime you install a new ink cartridge you are also installing a new printhead, as the printhead is part of the ink cartridge, although this makes the ink cartridges more expensive it does make for a more reliable and longer lasting printer. I have also found that HP printers give me better print quality than either Canon or Epson.

I have wrote a review on the HP C3180, which can be found at the link below.

click here

Arnie 00:10 09 Apr 07

After chewing the cud for many weeks I finally made up my mind and bought an HP Photosmart D5160.

I had originally intended to buy an HP 5940 model, however I heard about too many paper jamming problems with that model.
A few days ago I thought I would check PC World's website and was pleasantly surprised to see a £20 discount on the D5160, if ordered on the web and picked up in store.

click here

After installing the printer, I printed out the 60 or so page manual in draft mode. I couldn't believe the speed at which the pages shot into the print tray.
Also the print quality knocked spots off my Epson C66.
During my guarantee period I shall be using genuine HP carts and then switch over to the more economical Peach cart system.

For the printer review.

click here

BTW FatboySlim one of my brothers owns a C3180 and he speaks very highly of it. He and my other brother use the Peach snap-in cartridges which are very economical.
I have posted on my feelings of printer heads and the Peach system previously.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Arnold%20Baxter/Desktop/index.cfm.htm

Look for: Tue, 06/02/07 @ 11:40

Arnie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now