ebuyer.com refund fiasco

GRFT 08:53 27 Nov 05

During May of this year I returned a faulty item to ebuyer and requested a refund. This was duly granted and I received a credit note (#399695) for £72.48, dated 21 June 05.

After several weeks there was no refund and nothing more to be heard from ebuyer.

Eventually, after many vain attempts to contact Customer Support, I sent a letter on 04 October. This was ignored.

At long last, on 01 November, I managed to get through to Customer Support and was informed that the Credit Note amount had been credited to my ebuyer account. This was not what I wanted to hear so asked that the £72.48 be returned to my Credit Card account. The agent agreed and said that this would be done within three to five working days.

No such transfer has taken place. It would seem that ebuyer is either grossly incompetent or is determined not to let me have my money back.

spuds 11:37 27 Nov 05

Polite but firm telephone call required ;o)

Totally-braindead 14:59 27 Nov 05

Because of past problems I no longer use them. You could try phoning but as I'm sure you know this may take some time. I presume like me you will be voting with your feet and dealing with a better company. It only took me 3 months to get my money back so you're definatly beating me.

ade.h 15:36 27 Nov 05

I'm using Ebuyer for small purchases quite frequently now, because it's very good value for that sort of thing. I avoid spending any substantial amounts just in case a problem occurs.

As far as I can tell, Ebuyer does not suffer from a much greater number of routine returns than other retailers, but the likelyhood of a run-of-the-mill issue turning into a major headache certainly seems to be higher.

GRFT 06:57 02 Dec 05

Amazing! Completely out of the blue I received an email from customer support today confirming receipt of the letter I sent October 4. The sender, Janita, says that the credit note will be converted to cash and refunded to my Credit Card acoount in the next 3-5 working days. Here's hoping it's not just another false dawn and that this saga is really about to end.

spuds 16:15 02 Dec 05

Nearly two months to give a reply,Ebuyer must be slipping up.Wonder what is going to be like with the Christmas build up!.

GRFT 07:28 06 Dec 05

Ebuyer eventually came up with money when my Card Account was credited yesterday (Dec 5.) This is after 24 weeks waiting, which must be a record.

Needless to say I'll never use Ebuyer again; and they have lost a good customer. Prior to this farce I had done business with them worth approx £1,500 over three years or more without incident

In fact this experience ha put me off internet shopping completely, and in future I'll use local dealers only and perhaps even the PC World store; certainly where substantial sums of money are concerned.

johndrew 11:55 06 Dec 05

Being a new PC user I find this sort of information invaluable. I have only made one purchase online in my life (Quiet PC) and was nervous about that, but it was fine as the goods arrived within 36 hours.

However, the number of problems reported in this and similar forums make me wonder why all the PC magazines don`t get together and identify the rogues and poor performers. I accept that occassional faulty goods get through but not to replace/refund promptly seems to be unforgivable in customer relations terms.

No worse than some banks not crediting cash to an account for four days in some ways though....

spuds 12:16 06 Dec 05

johndrew-- On-line shopping is one of the main success stories with very little going wrong for the majority of cases. In the case of Ebuyer, I and many thousand other regular buyers use their service without any real problems, and it is cases like this one that can bring the disaster effect into being.Ebuyers turnover is colossal, and there are bound to be some mistakes which want rectification as quickly as possible,especially for the buyer, but I do not think that one buyers remarks in a forum is going to make a terrific impact on any one company.

So in my humble opinion, on-line shopping is the future way for everyone with computer facilities, providing the buyer sticks to simple self protection rules.

GRFT 09:17 09 Dec 05

All very well, Spuds, but what simple self-protection rule would have saved me from this experience?

I'm just glad it's now all over and that that monkey, which has been irritating me for months is finally of my back.

johndrew 11:03 09 Dec 05

I agree that occassional problems will occur, but as I indicated it does not excuse poor performance in Customer Service/Care.

Where a problem occurs it should be refered to a Customer Service agent who should deal with it in a timely manner. Many businesses, both big and small, already do it so let`s get the poor performers up to scratch.

As for the rogues, well they really shouldn`t be in business.

I am unable to comment on the success or otherwise of online buying with my vast(!!?) experience of it. All I can do is rely on news articles and the experience of others.

As for impact however, it is all the individual complaints that eventually have an effect; especially when supported by big players like magazines. PC World could be an example.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…