Ebuyer Pricing Error

ridding 19:42 06 Oct 03

Hi
Looking for advice as click here had on its website a Netgear DG834G 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router Cost: 73.13
Now I have just been informed that there has been an error and that the order has been put back to edit mode and if I what the item then I have to pay £105.08+VAT.
Now I know that this has happened with other companies and they have honoured the errors, I am in the position that click here acknowledged the order and in no way in that e mail ( which I still have) did they say this was under the condition that the price was right an other implications that were brought to my attention.
Any comments and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
regard
Graham

Belatucadrus 20:03 06 Oct 03

"Now I know that this has happened with other companies and they have honoured the errors" some have, but to be honest most don't. The problem is in that it's all clasified as an "Invitation to trade" and they don't have to provide the goods. I think it depends on what they want most, your good will or your cash.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:26 06 Oct 03

' Now I know that this has happened with other companies and they have honoured the errors'...to the best of my knowledge there has only been one that has honoured the price, (Kodak). They had to, as they sent an email which specifically said that it was a contract to supply and there were a few other mistakes made by Kodak. An acknowledgement is unlikely to be a contract to supply. A price is only an indication of the amount that is required to purchase an item, if you have a receipt with that price clearly stated, then that is a contract or agreement to supply.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:28 06 Oct 03

ps...NO compamy is obliged, by law, to 'honour' any advertised price. The law is exceedingly clear about this.

G

Sion 20:52 06 Oct 03

This does happen occasionally. I don't know if anyone remembers the fuss that was caused earlier in the year when Amazon put some PDA's on its site for £50 or something silly. Hundreds rushed to place their order, but were then told that these prices would not be honoured. Luckily for mail order companies, the price is not agreed upon (and legally binding) until they actually ship it.

Just put this down to experience and move on, is all i can say.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:11 06 Oct 03

'Luckily for mail order companies, the price is not agreed upon (and legally binding) until they actually ship it'...the price is not agreed until you receive a receipt or price confirmation from any compnay not just mail order. Shipping is irrelevant.

G

spuds 00:20 07 Oct 03

Purchasing on-line still as 'grey areas'.I was one of those people who purchased one of the Kodak DX3700 packages. Initially Kodak went on record that they would not honour their advertised 'special deal'. But the evidence in the end, that a contract to supply was made public via an email,Kodak had no way to turn, except by a court intervention test case. Many people,including myself, had to notify Kodak, that it was our intentions to bring a claim against them,via the small claims court procedure.This mass protest made certain legal bodies think hard and fast, at the time.

I have just been reading an article about possible court claims that could perhaps be used in respect of some on-line selling methods. These would cover subjects of perhaps fraudulent trading,false representations,obtaining percuniary advantage by deception,malpractice,breach of contract and the list goe's on. But no doubt, one day, someone will 'test the waters' as to the legalities surrounding local and international internet buying, and until that happens, there will always be 'grey areas'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…