eBuyer Order Cancelled by them!

Mastermind 17:01 03 Feb 05

On Tuesday I ordered some items from eBuyer. I needed them by the weekend and they said they could deliver them by Friday (tomorrow). I have used them several times before without problem. However, I have just received this email:

Quoting Ebuyer Customer Services [email protected]>:

>
> Dear Sir / Madam,
>
> PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW- THERE IS NO NEED TO CALL/ENOTE AS YOU
> WILL BE ADVISED ON THE
> BELOW.
>
> Unfortunately during the security check stage, our credit card processor has
> informed us that the
> address that you have supplied is not the address that they have on record
> for this particular
> credit/debit card.
>
> ***YOUR ORDER HAS NOW BEEN CONVERTED TO A QUOTE***
>
> If the goods are still required then you need to replace your order, and
> amend your address in the
> checkout process.
> Please correct your address (as shown exactly on your statement) and replace
> the order. If the
> details are correct and verified then the order will be processed.
>
> PLEASE FOLLOW THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS - THERE IS NO NEED TO CALL/ENOTE AS YOU
> WILL BE ADVISED ON THE
> ABOVE.
>
> Regards
> Ebuyer Customer Support

The problem is the address they have IS the address my credit card is registered to. I’ve not ameneded it and have used this credit card with them before without problem.

I’m really annoyed as I’m probably going to have to buy the items on the high street at the weekend now at a significantly higher price.

What would you suggest I do?

There’s no point in ordering things from them again as they’ll just cancel the orders for the same reason.

I've sent them an e-Note, but they have a backlog of 7 working days; how ridiculus!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:29 03 Feb 05

Contact your credit card company to see if there is a problem with the card.

G

Dorsai 17:59 03 Feb 05

I would imagine the address verification process is fully computer automated, which could mean that a small error in the address you supplied for shipping could result in the verification failing.

Or perhaps you accidently typed in the card number incorectly? That way the address for the card number you supplied would differ from your address.

I have used Dabs in the past, and they allow alternate shipping addresses, but you still have to supply your cards billing address.

As Gandulf suggested, check with your card co. just to make sure there is not a problem.

But remember that the all Ebuyer are trying to do is to avoid both them and you getting ripped off, with the then huge amount of aggro that goes with you being billed for items that were shipped to someone else who used your card number without your consent.

Mastermind 18:06 03 Feb 05

I know that eBuyer are only trying to prevent fraud. I just don't understand why they've never had a problem with my previous orders. I didn't type the card number in as it was set up from my previous orders. The same is true with the address. Nothing's changed.

Also, why have they only just told me there's a problem when the items were due for delivery tomorrow?

Not expecting any answers; just need a rant because it's extremely inconvenient. Even if I sorted it out and re-ordered they can now only deliver next Wednesday unless I pay extra. That's just too late.

wiz-king 18:32 03 Feb 05

We keep credit card details on file from some of our regular customers, and it is usualy either the exp date or security number that has been changed.
Dont blame the shop; their system and the credit card company is there to prevent fraud and hence to cost you less, neither of them is perfect. At least the told you! and gave you options.

Forum Editor 19:01 03 Feb 05

they have been told about a problem by their card processor, who in turn has received a non-valid address notification from the VISA/bank database. Ebuyer have simply (and correctly) acted to protect you, the cardholder, and themselves from a possible fraud. The system is entirely automated.

Do as the others have advised - contact your card issuer, and find out what's gone wrong.

Mastermind 11:26 04 Feb 05

I've contacted my credit card who have no record of any recent payment requests from eBuyer and have told me that I should contact them as the problem must lie at their end.

Nothing regarding my credit card has changed as I've had it for over a year.

BTW, eBuyer didn't convert the order to a quote as they stated in their email. They obviously don't want my money.

Belatucadrus 13:21 04 Feb 05

I recently had exactly the same problem trying to open an account with Play.com, ended up scrapping the order and going back to Amazon. It wasn't a new card, no other online retailer has ever had any problems with it and all my details were correct. I suspect some buggy new validation process.

josie mayhem 23:53 04 Feb 05

But buying over the net, is really a good deal?

I've just purchased a couple of items from a local small shop, and when I concider the time it take to travel to a large store or order from the internet the later charging a small sum for royal mail standard delivery, there isn't much difference in y case a few pence dfference.

But when you think I have now got what I wanted at home and up and running, I seen what the product was and could ask quesston about it. And if it dares to go wrong I've got some-onme on a face to face basises that can't avoid e-mails, phone calls ect.

My personal view is I will always go local, even if it costs a couple of quid more!

VideoSentry 17:23 05 Feb 05

I had the same problem with another company but it was me that put the incorrect number ( one digit ) of the card into the system, which caused the problem.

Dorsai 17:53 05 Feb 05

In this day of increasing card fraud many retailers or tightening up their security, and so it coems as no surprise that this higher level of security will somtimes block legit purchases.

Perhaps they have recently upgraded their security sortware, and so an error in the address they have on file is now getting spotted where before it was not. The postman wont mind that your street name is very slightly miss-spelt, on your credit card bill, but it would be enough to fail verification when you type it in right on ebuyer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…