ebuyer beware - delivery on £45 printer =£19.22

Widows Son 12:47 13 Feb 04

And thats the standard option not the express!!

Went to their site to buy a Canon I350 for £45.29 + £4.22 delivery after doing a price check on Kelkoo. They tried to shaft me with another £15 on top because I live in Northern Ireland. As we here are part of the United Kingdom most retailers (Amazon etc) do not discriminate against us – Obviously ebuyer feel they can get away with it.

I have now bought a Canon I350 from my local PC World for £59 (could have got at a couple of pounds cheaper from Dabs but have had problems with them in the past).

It costs no more to send items via Royal Mail to Northern Ireland than anywhere else in the UK. Couriers vary in charges but to increase the total cost to me by over 30% I feel is totally unacceptable.

DieSse 14:20 13 Feb 04

Like any business, they can charge what they want, and like any buyer you can choose to buy from them or somewhere else.

Al94 14:48 13 Feb 04

and some businesses treat N I as a foreign country and not part of the UK. You are right that generally delivery costs are the same (particularly Royal Mail) to N I but it may be that they contract to particular courier company who charge extra for N I. Being also from N I, I have noticed this problem with some companies, both online and mail order. As DieSse says, the best thing to do is avoid them!

WiLL-A 15:56 13 Feb 04

And its becomming more common. Dabs have recently introduced a £5 surcharge to places like N.I. in the last couple of months.

Ebuyer take the biscuit though. I asked them them if it was possible to send items through Royal Mail but of course they said they only use the one courier company and that the £15 surcharge is applied directly by the courier.

Places that I use would now be PC Nexday and Aria.

Stuartli 17:41 13 Feb 04

I always thought that ebuyer's delivery charge depended on the actual weight rather than its value.

You can get several lighter items delivered for the same price as one providing they don't go over a particular weight.

It must be difficult for people living in Northern Ireland - I've noticed, for instance, that many insurance companies based in the UK will not provide motoring cover there.

Widows Son 18:53 13 Feb 04

Nice to see this annoys others as well - Maybe its time to stop P&P charges being another opportunity for firms to get the arm in - either by law a internet fair traders scheme

Widows Son 18:54 13 Feb 04

"either by law or by a internet fair traders scheme"

Sir Radfordin 19:14 13 Feb 04

Surely it is up to each company to decide who they want to sell to and at what price. If you don't want to buy from a company who charge a premium to deliver to NI then no-one is making you.

I for one see no reason, and nor do I want to, for the government to get involved and make some form of legal cases for this. That only disrupts free trade in my view.

wags 20:38 13 Feb 04

I agree 100% with Sir Radfordin. It is up to Ebuyer to charge what they deem appropriate for delivery. You can then make an informed choice as to whom gets your business by comparing the total 'delivered' price with that quoted by other online or 'high street' retailers.That is the beauty of online purchasing - comparing prices from competing suppliers to ensure you get the best deal you can/or are happy with.

Suggesting some form of legislative action by the Government, is with respect, a little bit OTT...

PA28 21:10 13 Feb 04

The moral of this story is that it is the whole charge, not the item charge, that you must look at. There are some businesses on Ebay at the moment that are apparently selling items ridiculously cheaply (like cameras for £1.99 with no reserve) but with a P&P charge at the bottom of the page of £25 for worldwide delivery. I don't know how this fits with trade descriptions (and presumably you only get a refund of £1.99 if the goods are defective as the rest is "P&P"), but as indicated above - keep your eyes open and don't buy if you don't want to. If everyone decides not to buy, then hopefully the practice will die of its' own accord - though I think that there should be some protection that limits post and packaging charges to some resemblance of true value.

kenny 21:36 13 Feb 04

every where is charging a surcharge of at least £5. last year i ordered from eclipse with no postage. This year £20 to n.i. suddenly pc world is becoming attractive!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…