Ebay scams?

jaydeeace 00:36 23 Jan 04

I have a question: when you look at ebay's laptop listings, many items come up for, say £4.99 saying tempting things like "Compaq Notebook P4 40Gb 512 DDR" or whatever. Being the curious souls that we are, we look and find out that we are "not bidding for the actual item, but information in how we can get (it) for just £45 inc."
Clearly this is some kind of scam, or else someone somewhere is making kick-ar*e losses! I'm just wondering, what would you imagine to be in the "information"? Must be quite clever, otherwise they'd be banned from ebay forever, no?

JD

Argonoss 01:05 23 Jan 04

You wont get a laptop for that price, however what your buying is'information' as where to obtain a laptop for this amount. Think of 'Multi-level Marketing or better still a pyramid. Typically these offers involve you buying some other material and getting around 25-30 people to do the same thing.

Once your name goes at the top you get your laptop.

Personally I'd steer clear, unless you want to be ripped off.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:34 23 Jan 04

It is a huge scam, especially with plasma TVs and mobys.......click here. You either have to buy some 'ebooks' to flog on (full of worthless info) or have to pay £150 to join a matrix where peole are co-opted beneath you and when there are 20 or so people beneath, you receive a TV (yeah right!). Mobile phones for £20 is a similar scam. You are only paying for a weblink (see below to save squids)

For all the scammers, lamers and losers that try to flog this tat, here is the address that is usually given, (save yourselfs £££££'s).......click here. Please mforqward money to me ;-))))

The whole thing stinks but I have little sympathy for people that pay a couple of hundred for a web link...they cannot be trusted with money....click here or click here for the latest muppets ;-))

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:35 23 Jan 04

BTW, no matter what the organisers say, matrices ARE pyramid selling.

G

georgemac 07:39 23 Jan 04

it's a massive scam and I cannot believe it is actually legal. This needs to be stamped on hard - IMHO

IClaudio 09:09 23 Jan 04

Your first muppet is bidding £254.99 for a £175 TV... whaaat? :0

Jester2K 09:34 23 Jan 04

The TV is worth thousands of pounds

The muppet is bidding for information on where to obtain one for £175.

Therefore (in theory) he would spend £255 on the Bid and then £175 on the TV meaning he gets a £3000 TV for £430!

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:10 23 Jan 04

'Your first muppet is bidding £254.99 for a £175 TV... whaaat? :0'....yup! he is then bottom in a line of about 25 people and has to cough up £175 joining fee. It does not take a genius to work out the math about queues and pyramidically increasing numbers. BTW he must be a muppet as I have posted the link ........for free;-))))) The new phonee section of Ebay is awash with these matrices....'new Samsung for £20..wow'....Until Ebay sort this out it will never havea lot of confidence from the unwary.

G

jaydeeace 10:56 23 Jan 04

Well, I had no idea that the pyramid thing was still so 'alive' - I suspected something must be amiss, but I totally (as always) agree with Gandalf; Ebay jooks just as much of a muppet as the bidders. Its excuse will be that it can't verify the morality/legality of every single auction item, I guess - not really satisfactory, but what can be done?

I have what I wanted now - evidence of how this works (or otherwise) without being stupid enough to part with cash for the privlege, as if I ever would.

Thread resolved then. Thanks guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…