Ebay Purchase rights

harpo 19:52 10 May 03

I bought a spanking gigabyte GA-7VA (KT400 with 8xAGP & USB 2.0 etc)motherboard with 512MB or PC3200 DDR RAM, cooler and amd 2000+ processor as an upgrade package for my ageing system. I followed the instructions repeatedly and to the letter but following each installation, no matter what I tried I couldn't get my system stable enough in normal mode to flash the bios or run in anything but safe mode. I tried everything including repeated reinstallation of win me and also win 98 plus a couple of drive reformats. No joy - as soon as I ran the driver disk for the chipsets then the computer just hangs.

Anyway, despite spending far too much time trying to get things to work I reset my old system which works fine. Microsoft Hardware compatibility list says the board is only supported by win XP. PC Advisor helpline july edition has a similar case and says not to install an old OS on new hardware.

To put it bluntly I am totally fed up and have lost confidence in the whole thing and have sent it back. The vendor says that unless he can find something physically wrong with the hardware then it's tough - I have no rights under the distance selling directive or sale of goods act because he said on his auction site that incompatibility is not a reason for refund. I paid via credit card through paypal £220.

I tried loan copies of xp but they don't work. I can't afford the extra expense of upgrading my OS anyway.

He says that both microsoft and PCAdvisor would say the systems won't work because they will be recommending xp but that there wouldn't be chipset drivers on the disk for other OS's if they don't work.

I just want my money back and to forget the whole affair. What are my right's? - any help or advice would be welcome. Thank you very much.

Regards

Steve

Rayuk 20:14 10 May 03

You should have paid a visit to the Helproom first.
What power supply have you got??Why did you want to flash the bios??

Forum Editor 20:18 10 May 03

the VIA 4in1 chipset driver - version 4.46 for this board. That version supports all Windows versions (including ME and XP)and you can download it - plus the latest Realtek audio and USB2 drivers for the board if you
click here

I suggest that you try that before you go any further.

BrianW 20:27 10 May 03

I have that board, running happily with win98se but with DDR2700 ram. Agree with FE regarding the via drivers. It may also be worthwhile setting the ram to a lower level in BIOS - 266 maybe, to start with. I remember reading that the board can be a bit picky about ram quality, particularly running at full speed. It should be a very stable platform, I was able to set mine up "hot" with all the old software installed , but I did have the latest via drivers installed beforehand. Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009