Is eBay failing!

spuds 11:46 24 Mar 06

Perhaps this question should be addressed in the eBay community forum, but I thought that an independent view via PCA forum members could and would be more feasible.

I use or view eBay every day, and over that time have gained various experiences, and have made many purchases. But I was wondering if anyone else seems to be falling into the same eBay category to that of myself. The category is one of 'No longer registered with eBay'. I am tending to find that after making that 'superb' purchase, I am having to chase up the seller, as my winning bid and paid for item as not arrived, within a reasonable time scale

Emails (sometimes) pass back and forth, with various excuses for the reason of delays. Then suddenly it appears that the member is 'No longer registered with eBay'. I realise that some memberships are suspended for a minor problem, whilst others are for major concerns. Yet eBay do not seem or appear to provide information, help or advice about the members suspension, tempory or otherwise.eBay limit the amount of dispute procedures or insurance-protection provisions , so in reality, this will offer far less for both the buyer and the seller.

Have you noticed the increase of this problem, as it effected you, what was the final outcome. Be interesting to know!.

g0slp 13:16 24 Mar 06

I got ripped off last year; similar to spuds. (Assorted excuse emails, then silence, then deregistered).

I agree about a lack of info from eBay; however I think it's sheer volume of users that stops a good monitoring system. Having said that, the money the system generates for eBay could surely fund a small department for investigating problems.

Like all walks of life, there are always going to be a minority of scumbags that spoil it for the majority, & eBay by its nature will, regrettably, attract scam artists.

spuds 18:10 24 Mar 06

There is a department that investigates problems, but I generally find that due to the workings of that department, small problems get bigger.When you think that you have a communications route open, you tend to find that sudden silence is the normal.Or at least that's my experience.

The Metropolitan Police have stated that fraud transactions on eBay are increasing, yet eBay UK seem to deny this. Looking at my past 6 months records, five people are 'No longer registered with eBay'.The previous six months, only one was no longer registered, but as since been re-registered.

GaT7 20:12 24 Mar 06

I've had 5-10 problems over the years (since 2002). Members hadn't been suspended, deregistered or anything, but getting their contact details from click here & calling them directly has worked every time - fortunately all were good people with valid excuses & sent/resent items or made full refunds : )). Resorted to this only when emails were not replied to. G

g0nvs 20:12 24 Mar 06

I have to be honest and say that I have never used e-bay. A good Idea, spoilt by a few con artists.

Jdoki 00:56 25 Mar 06

Registered in 2000, have a feedback of around 65 (so not used much), use ebay as a buyer and seller, only once had a problembuying goods.

Of the people I know, with various feedback scores from 20 to 2000 only one or two problems I can recall them telling me about.

Spotting a potential problem seller can be helped by:

Checking their feedback. The score may be high but check how they got it. If they are selling XBox360's for example, but all feedback was from buying very low cost items of a similar nature then they may be dodgy.

Look out for 'hidden' costs. Never nice to find a bargain only for the price to shoot up because of mandatory insurance. Also worth noting that ebay only covers the purchase cost so those auctions for 99p Buy Now and 25quid postage would only cover you for 99p from what I recall.

ebay will only chase sellers who fail to deliver if the amount is over £15.00

I do, however, think that ebay fails to protect it's members enough.

spuds 12:58 25 Mar 06

jdoki-- You have made a very interesting point there. Have you noticed how PayPal and possibly eBay, make an administration charge of £15.00 per dispute.Not going to give much of a refund on the 'lost' winning bid, if it cost £15.01 !.

dunderheid 13:57 25 Mar 06

My own personal experiences on ebay have been that up until I start to bid for a particular item nobody has shown the slightest interest in it for days, then when I make a bid, the opposing bids start to build up gradually (and it's only one person bidding against me), but cease after a ceiling has been reached.

would it be overcynical of me to say the the owner is bidding against you using another ID or at least getting an acquaintance to bid against you?

g0slp 16:14 25 Mar 06

"would it be overcynical of me to say the the owner is bidding against you using another ID or at least getting an acquaintance to bid against you?"

That has been known to happen; problem is, how can you prove it easily?

I have to say that I don't tend to 'show my hand' when bidding until towards the end of auctions, for various reasons, including the one that you've brought up.

spuds 17:19 25 Mar 06

dunderheid-- eBay have a rule against mysterious bidding, and I have noticed that type of event happen, but as g0slp as mention, trying to prove it is another thing.

Diemmess 18:31 25 Mar 06

Imagine you spot a widget and place a bid.
Seller A like anyone else wants top price and as time rolls by, his friend B makes a realistic bid....
Time up and either B succeeded in making you the eventual buyer bid higher still and please A, or B has bought it and A must now pay the eBay commission as well as being stuck with the widget!

That route is not illegal provided everyone does what is required of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…