E-thrombosis

A new condition has emerged from sitting at your computer without taking regular breaks. A New Zealand man develped a condition similar to deep vein thrombosis ( which can effect long haul plane passengers) through sitting at his computer for up to 18 hours a day. A blood clot formed in his leg and travelled to his lung and almost killed him. This has been dubbed e-thrombosis. You have been warned.

Goldcroft 15:56 28 Jan 03

18 hours a day! He can only think himself lucky that the thrombosis got him before the men in white coats arrived.

Is there another thread here: how much time a day do forum readers spend at their computers? Excluding those who are glued to a screen at work.

€dstow 16:10 28 Jan 03

I can quite understand this happening but according to my brother (a medic) and my other half (a long haul pilot), the situation on an aircraft is somewhat different due to the artificial conditions of much lower air pressure up there and the very low humidity combined with passengers not drinking enough water (but often excess alcohol). This combined with the static situation of being almost fixed in your seat causes pooling of the blood in the legs and, because of the dehydration from lack of water the blood becomes more concentrated and more prone to thrombosis.

18 hours is an awful long time to sit at a screen though!!

€d

Bapou 16:42 28 Jan 03

Probably drinking too much alcohol as well !!

Wes Tam ;-) 16:44 28 Jan 03

Nothing new about the condition. For at least the last 15 years we have been telling our desk-bound workers to take a 10 minute every hour 'circulation' break.

It seems plain commonsense.

But nowadays we live with the 'blame culture' so I expect it's all the fault of the computer manufacturers.

ps my father had DVT near on 50 years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant