E-buyer warning

johnnybaz 09:06 06 Dec 04

Just a note to all - I ordered a mission critical laptop from E-buyer for delivery last week and paid extra to ensure it was delivered in time for my business trip. Not only did I receive no laptop, but also no notification that the laptop would not be there on time (the site advertises is as 'Usually dispatched same day), and my queries and complaints have been ignored.

E-buyer may be cheap, but don't rely on them if you need something in a hurry. I'm still waiting for notification ....

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:59 06 Dec 04

If it was 'mission critical' I would have not taken any notice of price and bought from PCW. Mail order is not the best method for 'mission critical'.

johnnybaz 10:07 06 Dec 04

Fair point - I am wiser in retrospect !

I foolishly thought that if I specified and paid for specific, named-day delivery that it would work, but you're right, I shan't be so optimistic again :-(

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:10 06 Dec 04

This has been mentioned many times but for any item that is necessary for a particular date, ordering by the Internet is not the best option. A few extra squid (or less in some cases when postage is taken into account)and a trip to PCW saves much nassle. Having said that, I have ordered shed loads off Ebuyer and every delivery has been on time or earlier than specified.

vaughan007 12:57 06 Dec 04

Very similar, almost identical, to my post a day or two ago.

Late deliveries seem to be a running theme occuring at Ebuyer.

Xevious 13:06 06 Dec 04

agreed with GANDALF <|:-)>

always received on time (except once, where they refunded the difference i paid for next day delivery.)

PCW are also becoming a LOT more competitive these days and are not overpricing as much as they used to. it's always good to know that if you need to, you can take your item back to them...etc whereas my complaint with ebuyer was the returns. IMHO that's their weak point

PCW may not have the most knowlegable staff (generalising of course) but if you know what you want, you don't need any advice...

I'm having a similar problem to johnnybaz. Ordered a new TFT monitor on Thursday 25th November. Chose the standard delivery which was due to arrive Wednesday 1st December...still no monitor yet although according to them, it was despatched on the day before it's due arrival, Tuesday November 30th and their system now has the order progress as invoiced.

I have contacted the courier, Citylink, to see if I could find out any more information and was told that the consignment number doesn't exist (as their websites also states) nor could they find any other traces of the order.

Sent ebuyer an e-note on Friday asking for an update but still no reply...

Luckily, this wasn't a mission critical order but it has still however caused huge inconvenience.

Until this order, all my past experiences with ebuyer had been like Gandalf's, all on time or earlier. Probably due to ordering in the Christmas period but still unacceptable in my opinion.

I will probably order from them again, but will defiantly be much more cautious and willing to buy elsewhere if the price is similar.

Xevious 13:46 06 Dec 04

yet nobody talks of the success stories, the super-quick deliveries...etc

unfortunately that's the nature of the beast, and by paying for a service, we expect it to happen as it should... (quite right IMO)

i, too, have complained many times about ebuyer, yet still find myself purchasing components from them.

my ruling is if i need it this week, i won't use them... i would either use DABS (time permitting) where i haven't yet had a bad experience, or use the local PCW.

and if you can afford to wait for the long turnaround on faulty goods, then so be it... e.g. i had purchased a printer from ebuyer for a customer, when it was found as faulty, it took 6 weeks from the time i raised the RMA request, to the time i received a replacement. in my books this is totally unacceptable. but can you find a better price online?

vaughan007 13:58 06 Dec 04

But low prices dont really justify rubbish or unacceptabley low levels of service.

Companies should price their goods so they can offer a reasonable level of service, consistantly. Ebuyer should be honest about the level of service you can expect at the time of ordering.

I think the main issue most people have is that if you are told something is going to happen, you get annoyed if it doesn't.

If they said it wont arrive until a week on Monday or whatever, then you would accept it and either buy from there or not buy from there. I sometimes feel Ebuyer are promising relatively quick delivery dates, to get the business, perhaps knowing they cant be met.

A lot of people who post on this forum seem to think its a trivial matter when items dont arrive on time. I dont. For people who lead busy lives when a delivery doesn't happen it is quite awkward to be in the house for the next delivery or make the journey to the courier depot (which for me is a 14 mile round trip through some of the worst traffic in the country).

Xevious 14:41 06 Dec 04

delivery is an integral part of any business.

back to ebuyer: i have found that if the item is being sent from the main wharehouse, then it will either be delivered on the date requested, or late. but if it's shipped from their "other" wharehouse, then it gets there early! seems to be that way every time for me!

at the end of the day, everyone needs to accept that "you get what you pay for" - so in this case, don't expect whistles and bells...

Totally-braindead 15:02 06 Dec 04

TANSTAAFL = there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Prices are good but their service is poor. As Gandalf has pointed out if you have a deadline which you must meet for getting a particular item then buying from the internet may not be the thing to do, as he's also pointed out going to you local PCW means that you get it in your hands at the time, a definate advantage. However getting back to the original complaint made by johnnybaz, I'm one of Ebuyers unhappy customers, they made such a mess of my last order ( more than a year ago now ) that I will never buy from them again. If you order an item which they say is in stock and you pay extra for quicker delivery then I would think its not unreasonable to expect to get the item within the time frame they specify. I know a lot of people on this Forum use Ebuyer, the FE among them but bearing in mind what happened to me, without going into details, it never surprises me when someone complains about them. If you use them and are happy with the service you receive then great, but I personally go elsewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…