e book readers again

john bunyan 17:29 17 Dec 10

I have been looking at e book readers, and the Kindle looked good, as does the new Sony 6" reader.The problem with the Kindle, it seems to me, is that you are hooked to Amazon as a book supplier, whereas I tend to use Waterstones. The Sony will read most ebook formats and .pdf.It is not wi fi.I am inclined towards the Sony ( Iknow it is dearer) as I want flexibilty of sourcing. Is there a legal way to buy Amazon e Books for the Sony? I believe there is a Kindle App for the iPad or iTouch? Alternatively if I buy the Kindle, can I buy from sources ither than Amazon, such as Waterstones?

john bunyan 17:30 17 Dec 10

ither = other!

acfc 17:40 17 Dec 10

I was concerned about being tied to Amazon prior to buying my Kindle so did a bit of research as to what was available and of course at what price.

I was happy with the selection of both paid for and free books and bought a Kindle for my wife and very soon after bought a second for myself with absolutely no regrets ~ best value for money on my opinion

Check out their library and see if it meets your needs ~ and of course you can also read PDFs on the Kindle as well

john bunyan 17:53 17 Dec 10

I am sure it is good, but I still would like to buy from others if possible.Is there a way round this - for example, an iPod can play both iTunes M4P and MP3.

morddwyd 20:08 17 Dec 10

There is a conversion programme available.

I converted my wife's Sony Bookreader books to Kindle format.

Do a forum search, it's in a recent Kindle thread, started by the FE I think.

I think it's called Calibre.

tullie 20:09 17 Dec 10

You can install Calibre E Book Management,which can convert your files to Kindle.

john bunyan 21:19 17 Dec 10

Thanks - I will have a look.Is there a programme that does the reverse - ie convert Kindle books to (Ithink) ePUB ?

john bunyan 21:20 17 Dec 10

I will study Calire further - it seems to "Like" Sony.

john bunyan 21:31 17 Dec 10

Having had a quick look at Calibre, it looks as if it will be OK. Also I understand Amazon have a free App for a PC such that you can buy kindle books without buying a Kindle, so I will probably go for the Sony soon. Will mark as resolved. Thanks again, and Happy Christmas.

Woolwell 22:53 17 Dec 10

There may be drm issues with Kindle to Sony. I have Sony and am quite happy with it. I use W H Smith, Waterstones, ibooks and Random House.

morddwyd 08:45 18 Dec 10

I had a Sony and changed to Kindle.

It's very much a personal thing.

Try to get some hands on before you decide!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…