Is e-bay really safe and do they give a toss

tonyholbury 19:32 22 Mar 04

I have been ripped off so many times by crooks on e-bay how can they have the brass face to claim they are safe.
One guy is flogging duff mobos and has arecord of at least 5 non payments of stuff he has bid on but e-bay lets him get on with it.
Isnt it time PC Advisor checked out e-bay to sort out the facts from the sales bull.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:50 22 Mar 04

I would suggest that, as you seem to be prone to rip-offs, that you desist from using Ebay. Strangely, I have used Ebay loads of times and have never been 'ripped off'. If a person has had 5 'duff' reports, then it would be obvious that one should not use him. Ebay, the company is very safe, it is the users that are not and there is no way of stopping scams apart from a modicum of common sense.

G

megapunch 20:04 22 Mar 04

i too have used ebay for some time and have never been ripped off, my method is to always check the feedback.. if i am unsure about the seller i would email some of the people that left feedback to get more information and such.

Ebay is safe as long as your alert :)

Totally-braindead 20:28 22 Mar 04

Like Gandalf I too have used Ebay for some time both for buying and selling. I only had one problem, a faulty computer part which the seller replaced no problem. Most of the sellers on Ebay are decent enough, its the case of the few ruining it for the majority again I'm afraid. I always check out the ratings on buyers before I buy something, if a person has too many bad ratings I just don't purchase from them. If a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:29 22 Mar 04

Some people are born unlucky ;-)))

G

Alx 20:46 22 Mar 04

I have both bought and sold on eBay with success. I have had good communication with the other person and fast payment/delivery.

The most common "scam" is the mobile phone link scam (search Ctrl-F for link in a mobile phone listing to check)

Failed/Duff items are usually marked so in the product description with "Failed" so just read through.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:57 22 Mar 04

I would avoid using Ebay, if I were you, as you seem to be cursed with failure.

G

tonyholbury 20:59 22 Mar 04

Yes Gandalf I have had SOME good buys from e-bay (I am not a seller) but they have been swamped by the money I have lost to the crooks and these seem to be on the increase.

tonyholbury 21:00 22 Mar 04

What I am asking PC-Advisor Gandalf ISNT IT TIME IT INVESTIGATED E_BAY and sorted out the fiction from the sales blurb?

Alx 21:17 22 Mar 04

maybe so,

try clicking to see what items the guy has sold on his feedback (click the item no. next to the feedback left) this will tell you if anything big has been sold successfully.

tonyholbury 21:32 22 Mar 04

I did ALX and it turns out most of the feedback is for 'fast delivery, good packaging', I have been guilty of sending that sort of stuff, e-bay pushes people to give good feedback, but the eye-openers were the few who had waited and the comments were the same on one seller/buyer, he was a bad payer and sold useless junk....what more can i say....
DONT FEEDBACK UNTILL YOU CAN TEST THE ITEMS!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…