Dying with a Motherboard

Phrixos 10:44 08 Nov 07

I've carried this over from the Helproom, where it appears under the heading, "Is my motherboard dead?", but which has ceased to be a Helproom issue.

My ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard has died (and just outside the guarantee!) And with that, according to Microsoft's draconian licensing policy, so has my operating system AND my Microsoft Word.

Given the costs involved, this means, in effect, forcing users into accepting that the only reasonable option is the grotesquely environmentally unsound one, of buying a new computer--and scrappping what is, but for Microsoft's draconian policy, an otherwise perfectly good machine. (Anyone ever heard of a computer manufacturer offering even the option of retail boxed software with their machines? Buy a new machine and customers are FORCED into using oem software!

There's an old joke about all the organs of the body arguing over which was the most important. The Heart said it was, because if it stopped beating, al the other organs would die. The Brain said it was the most important, because unless it sent its signals to the heart, the heart could not beat. The Stomach said it was, because without food, the brain could not send its signals. The Liver, the Kidneys, the Pancreas and others all joined in, insisting for their own reasons how each was the most important. Eventually the Rectum got fed up with all the jabbering and it simply refused to work. Soon, the Heart started to falter, the Brain couldn't think straight, the Stomach churned, the Pancreas , Liver, Kidneys and all the other organs began to shut down. The moral? It just goes to show, if you want to be in charge, all you have to be is an asshole!

If a car was Microsoft software, then, buying a new model would mean scrapping a perfectly well-functioning one. Who would stand for such an outrageous demand? The scrapyards could not cope with the rubbish mountain. When buying an upgraded version of Microsoft (and some others') software means buying a (very) high percentage of the same thing again--and again--and again--and again, just so you can get the (much) smaller percentage of what is actually new, this amounts to "subscription" software by the back door. Arbitrarily connecting a software licence to one computer's specific--even if it is (arguably) the central component--is immoral!

ATB,
Phrixos

keef66 12:06 08 Nov 07

do you have the software on CD or DVD? (My OEM software came installed but I also have the disks which I have used to reinstall it on several occasions) Microsoft might reactivate it when you've replaced the mobo.

If you get an identical mobo it might even work without reinstallation of the software

Phrixos 12:33 08 Nov 07

I phoned microsoft, simply to enquire if the "rumors" I heard about the software dying with the mobo were correct, and they said yes.

Worse, they asked me for my installation key number--which I made the stupid mistake of giving them--and they deactivated me on the spot!

Ergo, a new mobo is now out of the question. Sadly, it's a new computer for me--and I LIKED the one I had.

Phrixos

keef66 12:43 08 Nov 07

Oh bugger!

Totally-braindead 13:07 08 Nov 07

Well Phrixos all I can say is in a few computers I have worked on when the windows was OEM and the board needed to be changed because of failure I was able to reactivate it by phoning them and there wasn't a problem.
Maybe its different now.
The reason OEM software is cheaper is because it is meant to die with the motherboard as I'm sure you are aware a full copy of XP is much more expensive but as I said when I have had a motherboard failure MS have been fine with me reactivating XP with a new motherboard. Did it on my brothers PC at the beginning of the year as an example.

Mike D 13:48 08 Nov 07

Phrixros
I have recently had a new pc. I had Office XP (OEM) on my old pc and Microsoft gave me the same answer, "You must buy new software, either OEM with your new pc or retail box". I have reinstalled Office XP (OEM) on my new PC with no problems in activating or updating it whatsoever! Who is kidding who?

Mike

rickf 14:19 08 Nov 07

Now,do we know why a certain Mr Dtaes is so rich??

Stuartli 14:25 08 Nov 07

I had two new motherboards in the past two-and-a-half years and all that is required, as XP doesn't always take to a new mobo, is to immediately do an XP Repair on bootup after installing the new board.

crosstrainer 14:37 08 Nov 07

Does not always work the way that it should, some people have managed to re-activate software that should have died with the machine. However, the rule is now "being enforced more robustly" or so I am told.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, my second Vista machine declared on boot-up that the registration key was invalid. I KNOW it's not.

phoned them on the automated service and was immdiatley re-activated, although the service told me that it was an XP machine (it never has been) I think they have extreme problems with the automated service at present.

Phrixos 17:37 08 Nov 07

I think some of you are missing the point. The system is the way it is, only because Microsoft WANTS it that way--and they want it that way because, of course, they CAN have it that way. It doesn't make it right. The hight cost of the retail version is principally wrapped up in the product support that comes with it--but that could just as easily be optional. No. I don't think something is justifiable just because that's the way a monopoly like Microsoft likes it. Like I said, who can buy a new PC with a Windows RETAIL version installed? We are FORCED into buying the OEM version--which means too many of us are forced, ultimately, into tossing-out fundamentally good machines when the motherboards crap out. (Think about this. I'm not saying Microsoft actually does it, but I am saying that, under their current policy, it is in Microsoft's interest to have motherboard manufacturers cut their tolerances so low that more motherboards than otherwise might, die--before they otherwise might--so that Microsoft sells more OEM licenses!

Phrixos.

citadel 17:48 08 Nov 07

If you have fallen out with uncle bill, you can now get pc's with linux pre-installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac