DVD/Harddiisk- player/recorder -any reccomewndatio

jack 14:49 04 Dec 05

DVD/Harddisk/recorder.
I fancy one of these to treat myself[and missus - espicially missus] to save Sat inghts ebbing away whilst we search for a suitable tape we swear we recorded ,but now cant find.
Been looking at the usual sites -Empire/Pixmania/Dixon/Comet
Lots out there but which and from where
All suggestions welcome

freaky 18:06 04 Dec 05

In the same boat myself, but decided to postpone for the following reasons: -

a)They are less expensive than previously, and are continuing to reduce.

b)There are two new recording media in the offing i.e. HD DVD's (High Definition DVD) and BlueRay - bit like the old days between Betamex and VHS !

c)At present there is no certainty as to which of the two format's will universally adopted.

d)As a result of the above - you could buy a DVD Recorder and it could shortly be outdated.

e)There is rumour that a DVD Recorder will be available that could use all three formats - DVD, HD DVD and Blue Ray.

In my opinion therefore, it is best to delay a decision until the situation becomes clearer.

Hope that helps.

wallbash 19:00 04 Dec 05

Problem with delaying a decision etc

there will always something better on the horizon
So make a choice and Buy it !

Ps very happy with my Panasonic dvd recorder, now a year old , of course its cheaper now. But has given me some fun over the year,

The Kestrel 19:12 04 Dec 05

Like wallbash I have had a Panasonic DVD recorder for 1 year. The DVD Ram format is excellent when recording over and over on one disc. I noticed on Amazon a good deal on a Panasonic recorder with an 80 Gb hard drive built in.

wallbash 19:23 04 Dec 05

Just did a web search and found for the money I paid for mine , this year the 'upgrade' would give me an additional 80 gig H/D and a s/d slot ( not that bothered about the slot!)
But as Kestrel says, the DVD ram disks are great. All the family have one each and use them as swopable !! mini h/d

keewaa 19:32 04 Dec 05

If the scenario mentioned above happens, the only problem you will have is playing the new format, they won't phase out old formats for at least 5 years (and even if they do just buy a load of blank discs) so all you would really need is the ability to play these new formats. I'm sure you could buy a cheap player for £20 to so this. You'll always be waiting for new technology.

jack 19:37 04 Dec 05

Thank you all - I guess I'll have go shopping and take a plunge

jack 16:40 05 Dec 05

So I went looking - thats all I was going to do -promise- Blue Water- Parked near John Lewis
Was going to look AND PASS THROUGH to Dixons
Masses of Flat sreen TV's, Masses of people
No DVD machines on display at all - then I spotted in a corner a single shelf of reduced items- one of which was a Ssony RDR HX510 DVD Recorder/HDD- £50 quid off but including 2 years JL warranty- and I sort of found my self out side clutching a big bag
OOher what have I done - will let you all know in a couple weeks when I have presented it to herself.

jack 20:14 05 Dec 05

Then todays Lidle News latter says Targe DVD recorder and 160 GB hard drive for 1`499.99 from Monday 12th
But its regional- not in this area though

click here_

jack 20:15 05 Dec 05

£149.99 thats er worse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…