dvd writers - how fast.

reddwarfcrew 11:41 25 Aug 03

how fast are dvd writers these days. 4x seems to be common, but are there quicker drives?

My sister has just offered to buy me one for me bday, but I'm not that hot on these yet so not sure whats available.

I know there's loads of formats, but dvd-r seems to be the common format (at least its what my standalone dvd player plays!).

Any tips, or links to sites greatly appreciated.

fitfella29 11:49 25 Aug 03

4x is the faster and that`ll burn a 4.7gb disc in say 15 mins.

you can drives that burn + and -.

the Pioneer DVR-A06 handles both and u can pick the retail version up for £160 or the oem version for 130.

-pops- 13:36 25 Aug 03

4x seems slow when compared against the speeds that CD writers claim but think of the amount of information that is read and written in that time. At that rate, the disk is spinning extremely fast and, thinking back to stories of CDs exploding when spinning in very high speed drives, I think there will need to be an improvement in the technology of disk manufacture before significant improvements on this 4x can be made.

fitfella29 13:59 25 Aug 03

4x for dvd writers and 4x for cd writers arent the same.

-pops- 14:12 25 Aug 03

I know that. Read my reply carefully and you may see what I mean.

bremner 16:18 25 Aug 03

Benq have just announced an 8 x DVD +R writer click here

Dicmay 12:11 27 Aug 03

If you wait for the 8x burners to arrive (soon - mid september) the 4x burners will decrease in price. Thats what i'm waiting for.

I'll plump for a Pioneer 106. This burner burns both the + and - formats and so you no matter who wins the format war you'll come out on top :)

BigMoFoT 14:30 27 Aug 03

I think single speed DVD burning is the equivalent to 6 speed CD burning in terms of the data transfer rate!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…