DVD-RW or DVD+RW? The safe choice?

TOPCAT® 11:08 06 Feb 03

DVD-RAM is on the way out I hear, so which format do you think will eventually become the industry standard and why? Or will each format continue to have its own niche market, or will one fade away like the Betamax did? TC.

leo49 11:20 06 Feb 03

Surely the safe choice at the moment is to wait until the dust settles and a winner emerges,the writing speed improves dramatically and the prices come down.

dean_e_boy 12:13 06 Feb 03

Sony have bought a DVD rewriter that will write to both the media you mention above. It is the SONY-DRU500A and it is only £250.

I hope this helps

Jonathan314159 14:16 06 Feb 03

Given that most drives can read both DVD+ and DVD-, I'm not sure that there needs to be a "winner" in the same way there was with Betamax and VHS.

TOPCAT® 15:10 06 Feb 03

I seem to remember, from a recent PCA article on DVD, the advice was to avoid a 'combi' system.

I intend to get a DVD drive later, and naturally want the format the industry will follow. As Leo says, it may be better to wait and see what develops. Thanks for the input fellas. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…