DVD RW compared to CDRW

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 19:16 30 Jun 03

Hi

I'm looking at buying a Laptop and have seen one which only lists DVD+RW.

I understand that there is DVD- and DVD+ but can a DVDRW still burn cds just like a cdrw????

Stupid question?

Sir Radfordin 19:22 30 Jun 03

I think you will find that where it lists DVD+RW you will be getting what is known as a combi drive. This is one that will read/burn CDRW's and will also read DVDs.

There are few laptops on the market with DVD burning abilities.

What laptop you looking at?

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 19:28 30 Jun 03
  H-J 20:00 30 Jun 03

But I can't see the need for dvd writers in their present form. increased data storage/backup is usually a good idea, but on the whole is it REALLY worth the current cost of dvd writers in any form, plus the relatively expensive media. a case could be made for cd-r, as they were several orders of magnitude greater than the usual widespread backup device (floppys. I am ignoring tapes and zips as they have never been a universal device like floppys, or now, cd's)

The only real use I can see for these items is to make (probably) illegal copies of dvd movies. I realise that this argument could just as easily be applied to cd-r's in their infancy (and indeed probably was!) There will always be a small number of users who will be able to take legitimate advantage of the data storage capacity of a dvd. For average users, cd-r is easily the most cost-effective solution for data storage and backup.

Hugh

Apologies to LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME for going OT from your post, but ask yourself is it techno need or techno greed for a dvd writer?

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 20:04 30 Jun 03

Hi Hugh

Personally I don't need a DVDRW but I like the spec of this Notebook.

But if a DVDRW can't burn cds then its not for me. I know what you mean in regards to DVDRW at the moment and its not something that I'd particularly use unless I was able to burn music cds!

Totally-braindead 20:12 30 Jun 03

As far as I know, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, all DVD writers can also burn cds. However, if you don't need it then don't get it, why not try emailing them for more info and ask for a price with a cdrw instead. This may be a waste of time as a lot of companies don't seem to be good at replying to that sort of thing but I think its worth a try. If they don't reply your no worse off.

crx1600 20:22 30 Jun 03

bigpockets had a DVD-RAM/R drive for £69 at the weekend, so there cheap enough.(this one doesn't burn CD's)

PCA recently condemned DVD media as being an expensive alternative to CD, "as it costs around 5 times more". (but they hold 7 times more data, so there actually cheaper/as cheap!)

back to the point, i think all +R/RW drives can burn CD-R.

probably with the exception of 1st,2nd and 3rd generation DVD-RAM drives, all other DVD writers can burn CD's.

H-J 20:42 30 Jun 03

has a good idea, especially when you consider that a big deal is made out of most machines being built to order.

crx1600
using those figures, you will only get your moneys worth out of the media (excluding the cost of the drive!) if you are actually filling them.

Hugh

Rayuk 18:52 01 Jul 03

If you go to the page you have linked to then click on further info you will find more info ie
it is a dvdx8 player/dvd-R 2.4x/rw 2.4x/cdrom 24x/CDR 16x and cdrw 8x

Hope I have not misread your question

The Spires 19:11 01 Jul 03

H-J I have just paid £119 for a Pioneer DVD writer just over double the cost of a decent cd writer, disks are around 79p (SVP) and falling & hold around five cd's worth of data. I'm impressed, I think they have come of age, I did a full system backup last night in fifteen mins on one disk a task that usually much longer using cd's. If any medium is used for illicit use it still has to be the cd writer or even the pc itself. That?s my perspective at least.

H-J 09:33 02 Jul 03

Fair comments indeed.Prices are certainly coming down. They are paralleling (did I spell that correctly?) cd-r's & cd-rw's of a few years back and I have no doubt that they will become perfectly affordable as a means of routine storage of data. I don't thing they are quite of an age, but thats a subjective thing. maybe in @ 18 months or so....

DVDR is eminently suitable for the use that you described, but you have to admit that the vast majority of users would not do such a thing. even if they knew how.

I agree with you as regards illicit usage. why add another means?

I think at the moment dvd is great for distribution of large amounts of data, i.e. games that take 2-3 or more cd's, and I can easily see the day coming when microsoft release a new OS on dvd only because of its size (anyone who has ever seen a genuine windows 95 on floppys will appreciate this!) But I still question the average users need to store large amounts of data on a regular basis that makes the increased cost of a pc/notebook (see, LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME, I havn't forgotten you<g>)worthwhile.

Hugh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…