Dvd rom or Combo drive?

tomhealy 15:02 03 Aug 03

My dvd drive has finally given up the ghost and so i need a replacement. I cannot decide whether top get a plain old dvd-rom drive for around £25 or a combo cdrw/dvd drive for around £40.

What do people think? I already have a 32x cdrw drive so do not actually need the combo but for the small price difference i'm considering it.

Are the combo drives any less reliable?

tanzanite 15:17 03 Aug 03

well if it was me id go for just the dvd rom,same as you already have a cdrw drive it wouldnt make much sense to buy a combi,i dont no if there any less reliable but im sure someone else round here could!

-pops- 15:28 03 Aug 03

Reliability is inversely proportional to complexity. (The more there is to go wrong, the more likely it will go wrong). Keep it simple and go for the DVD drive.

spencercraig 16:45 03 Aug 03

It may be worth getting a combo drive if you are going to get a DVD writer later.
I am not sure how good DVD writers are at writing CD's. Perhaps someone could tell me.

Stuartli 17:40 03 Aug 03

Stick to a DVD-ROM drive - apart from the fact that it's dedicated to its purpose of reading DVD (and CD)-ROMs, multi-purpose drives such as rewriters and combos do not enjoy the same reliability and longevity as CD and DVD-ROM drives.

Manufacturers' figures prove these facts and are readily available in website specifications for the various types of drives.

I've had two rewriters (both by Plextor and rebadged as TDK models) fail within 12 months, yet basic CD-ROM drives regularly updated as speeds increased, are still going strong in friends' systems.

In turn the CD-ROM has been replaced by a Pioneer 116 DSVD-ROM drive, still functioning splendidly after two years' use.

Rtus 00:37 04 Aug 03

I bought a Branded Combo drive 2 yrs ago its had a heavy work load And has given no trouble what so ever. I prefer the combo as It leaves me more room for drive caddies.My only detrimental comment about my drive was it was expensive £186:23p inclusive..But it is down to preference and usage planned vs depth of wallet/purse

spuds 19:13 04 Aug 03

I purchased an LG GCC-4120B Cd-Rw/Dvd-Rom Reader Combo about twelve months ago. Great bit of equipment.

Stuartli 18:37 06 Aug 03

Bit like all-in-one printer/fax/scanner machines though - if one section packs up you've nothing until it's been repaired (or replaced)!

tomhealy 18:44 06 Aug 03

still thinking about combo but am leaning towards the simple dvd-rom.

are they all basically the same or is there anyhting i should look for in terms of features?

phoenix_one 19:32 06 Aug 03

Just a quick post Stick to the DVD
It makes more sense as only one thing can go wrong

If you buy a combo the disadvantages are

More to go wrong
You may take out the CDRW and lose drive to drive copying
COMBIS are slower

tomhealy 13:41 20 Aug 03

Am gonna go for the dvd-rom drive as my 32x cdrw is fast enough for me.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…