DVD Burner Recommendations Please

Lotte 15:14 28 Oct 05

My 8 month old Sony (spit) burner has gone belly-up. Sony don't want to know.

Anyone recommend anything?

Needs to suport all formats (+/-/DL/RAM)

System
Athlon 64 3800
XP Home (SP2)
1 GB RAM

Ta

De Marcus 15:31 28 Oct 05

8 month old and sony don't want to know? I would apply a little more pressure than I'm guessing you currently are, but not with sony, the retailer you bought it from in the first place.

wallbash 16:34 28 Oct 05

Agree with De Marcus , but am still very pleased with the LG GSA-4163B ( top recomeneded by PCA) I bought it early when it cost over ?50, and thought it worth every Penny, Now costs just over ?30 , a bargin.

And yes it doed do DVD RAM

pj123 17:22 28 Oct 05

Agree with wallbash. I also have the LG 4163B.

It also burns Dual Layer DVDs as well.

kbo64 01:52 29 Oct 05

Hi there,
If it's not too late,
My lite-on optical drives have allways been sound.
Like you one of mine went belly up, but after 9 months. Sony's attitude ---- off.
Have a butchers at this group test,
click here

Best wishes
kbo

Lotte 11:27 29 Oct 05

De Marcus - Sony claim that they don't even know the model!!! Checking the interweb thingy a number of other people have had the same response. PC came from Tiny (Oh the shame) so no help there then.

Mind you I'm not that bothered as the LG unit, which I've seen a number of good reviews, retails at £30. Doesn't quite break the bank.

For information and warning to others the Sony unit is DW-D22A. Read about it here: click here

Ta very much everyone.

GCR 12:12 30 Oct 05

I have the same Sony drive installed by Mesh in one of their PCs. I am having a problem with writing DVDs where, if I write anywhere near the rated speed of the discs (-DVD), none of my three DVD players will play all of the disc. Usually they start to have difficulty from about three quarters of the way through. Is this a further example of a crappy Sony drive?

pj123 13:54 30 Oct 05

Done a bit of research. It appears that your Sony burner is in fact a rebadged Liteon SOHW-1633S, which may be why Sony don't want to know.

Maybe you should get on to Liteon.

Personally, I would forget it and go and get the LG 4163B

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac