DVD built-in obsolescence?

Wilham 15:04 21 Jan 04

We have had DVD write speeds of X1, X2, X2.4 and higher. I have been disappointed to find I cannot write to some of the new, cheap X4 write DVD media, even though my writer is less than 12 months old. No, not write at any speed.... and the brand of DVD writer doesn't come into it. The fastest of any I knew at purchase was X2.4. No doubt this advance of DVD write speed will continue as it did before with CD's.

I've searched in vain for an explanation of the non back-compatible write speed. So I'll put up a guess,... and be knocked down?

The increase in DVD write speed is done by increasing the disk rpm. This faster spin needs more energy of burn from the laser, which is achieved by changing it to one of shorter wavelength.
The coloured dyes associated with DVD's are only there in single-layer disks to filter out the longer wavelengths of older DVD writers to avoid malfunction. This explains why an earlier DVD writer cannot write X1 on a new X4 disk.

SEASHANTY 15:25 21 Jan 04

My standalone Panasonic DMR-E60 has no difficulty writing Verbatim DVD-R x2 and the Ritek DVD-R x4. I interchange them often.

Wilham 15:39 21 Jan 04

Thanks, useful. One or two quibbles...
The DMR-E60 is DVD ram and DVD-R and HD as well. Also it is not a PC drive machine, perhaps much more powerful?
It throws doubt on my explanation, though.

Wilham 15:53 21 Jan 04

Just thought... Your DMR-E60 is not so old. Is it X4 write speed?

rickf 16:00 21 Jan 04

I have the Philips 1st generation DVD Rewriter 1208 which writes 2.5 max and have flashed the firmware with their download and it now happily burns 4x discs.

Wilham 16:26 21 Jan 04

In effect an update solution? This stumps me.

Curious a 1st generation Rewriter is not X1

Stuartli 17:29 21 Jan 04

x4 rewriters have not been out all that long and the incoming x8 is only just beginning to get moving; very similar to CD-ROM drives.

Remember the original CD players and associated technology were conceived around x1 music disks by Philips and Sony, who collaborated in the project; Philips had realised its 12in LaserDisc system offered a fascinating alternative to its Compact Cassette invention in the form of a sound only version.

Today's DVD rewriters also have to burn far more information onto a disk.

SEASHANTY 11:26 22 Jan 04

Regards the DMR-E60. I haven't found anywhere in the manual where it says what speed DVD-R discs it takes. Started off using the Verbatim x2 speed then obtained a pack of 100 Ritek x4 (mainly for use with the Pioneer 105). It dioes say on the Ritek pack to make sure that your drive firmware has been updated to use the x4 speed discs. Just stuck one in the Panasonic E60 to see if it worked and it did so have
used them since with no probs. Have no idea what firmware version this machine is. It works OK with x2 and x4 so that's fine.Have had this machine around 4 months now so as you state it is fairly new.

SEASHANTY 11:42 22 Jan 04

There is a partial list of what DVD recordable discs play on which machines at dvdrhelp here
click here

Wilham 16:06 22 Jan 04

SEASHANTY: Useful reference, thanks.

I can see the need for dye(s) on a single sided dual layer disk, but what is it used for in a single layer DVD, if not as I guessed?

I've been sent an ad for an Iomega Super DVD Writer, it writes all three...ram(X3), -R(X4), and +R(X4). £168 inc vat. Only one I've seen that does this,.. and pricey.

Wilham 16:15 22 Jan 04

When you put a Ritek X4 in your E60 have you tried to write on it with Ram ? I've seen one Ritek that can be used on either, perhaps needing a pre format?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…