Duff/ busted PC's why do we..........

muscic lover 16:51 01 Jun 03

Why is it that we put up with Duff/ broken Pc's. You wouls expect a car to work when you get it! You'd get cheesed off with a knackered toaster from new! So why do we put up with a Pc that needs updating, re configuring etc..... I expect a piece of equipment to work straight from the box when you open it.. especially at about £1000 a piece!
Maufacturers rely on our 'goodwill' to rectify a shoddy situation, and then have the cheek to say, "its something you did wrong to it", they expect us to put up and shut up! I say "NO, Not good enough!" Give them hastle and dont put up with goods being shoddy, and demand the situation be rectified at the time.
However, there are some good folk there who bend over backwards to help....... Thanks PC advisor, and its gang of great readers and own 'home experts'!
Long may the magazine run (at a profit of course!!!)
Music Lover ( a guy who loves music as much as his PC)

Lú-tzé 17:32 01 Jun 03

I usually take comfort in the fact that while my toaster can only heat bread, my car can drive, my tv will allow me to watch various broadcasts etc., my pc can do numerous things: office work, manipulate photos, edit videos, play music, and so on.

If there is a hardware fault, then that should be sorted by the supplier.

Generally speaking, software works pretty well - any necessary tweaks to it can be done by the user; updates are readily available from the manufacturer.

But we should not have to put up with shoddy work. It's just often quicker and easier to sort out any problems ones self where possible.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:08 01 Jun 03

Sadly computers are rather temperamental, suffer from oodles of junk programmes loaded onto them and baboon-fisted owners 'tinkering' with them. It is rare for hardware to break down...people deleting important files is a rather more common occurrence.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:11 01 Jun 03

'You wouls expect a car to work when you get it!'....I can't be bothered to source the report but JDPowers' UK overview of the new car market stated that approx. 70% of all new cars had faults after the pre-delivery inspection and prior to the owner taking charge......not only computers then?

G

Steinman 18:16 01 Jun 03

I can see Music Lovers point.Lú-tzés points too.
I suppose it is because there are so many variations of a pc.I mean what is an average pc?! What's included in build etc.What makes it 'function'.
The hardware should work from day 1 - sale of goods act covers that.
I think of updates to software as when a product is recalled by manufacturer due to production fault. We can't all take the PC back to the shop as Windows XP needs updating yet again! (XP= Xtra Patch?!)
If every few weeks the toaster had to go back to Toasters R Us then we'd soon get fed up going back & forth!
Is it because the world of computing & applications etc is ever-changing? Faster processors/better graphics etc etc. Thus the update issues.
Also is it because of a lack of knowledge in the actual product. If it "does what it says on the tin" then we are all happy. But, should something go wrong -panic....or PC Adv Helproom!

spuds 19:14 01 Jun 03

This point as been aired on many occassions. Software that doesn't quite meet up to expectations. Computers that are out of date within months of purchase. The list can go on, but whilst the general public put their faith in the IT industry, things will remain the same.Remember the days when it was "the computer got it wrong", now people are more sensitive about this new fangled idea, but they still haven't reached the point of being completely satisfied.Perhaps one day, who knows !!.

powerless 19:43 01 Jun 03

"70% of all new cars had faults after the pre-delivery inspection..."

I've done a PDI on an Accord and there was a bolt loose on the lower suspension arm. *GASP*

Ahem, deleting of important files i would have to agree. Strange that a format usually is the easiest way out?

leo49 20:29 01 Jun 03

Sadly,in many cases, the HID is not up to the quality of the PC but as it's the one that can talk it naturally blames the machine.

leo49 20:30 01 Jun 03

Present company accepted, I hasten to add. :o)

leo49 20:34 01 Jun 03

'accepted'= excepted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5