Duel-screening on laptops

Inigo 22:33 22 Apr 03

I'm a little annoyed at Time at the moment. I recently (September) bought a £1500 laptop from them (including warrenty). A friend has just bought a cheap £600 laptop, which I think was a Packard Bell, and it can do things that mine can't. Surely that's the wrong way around?

There are two main things it can do which mine can't: duel screening is the biggest of the two. When I bought my laptop, I thought that it could do duel screening easily and properly - this is as in displaying one desktop on the laptop's screen, and displaying an extended desktop on a TV. This my laptop cannot do, but the friend's cheap laptop can.

The second is the audio: his can do all kinds of different effects. OK, so this is hardly necessary and useful, but still...

My laptop can do things like write CDs, and has more HD space, RAM, and monitor space (15" vs 14.1"). But those things you would expect when you spend more than twice the price on a machine. Oh, and they threw in a load of software with his machine - mine only came with Windows XP (Home, not professional, too...)

OK, that's my mild complaining over. Next time I buy a laptop, I'll make sure that I get everything exactly as I want it, and make sure that it definately does it all... And probably go for an Apple Mac while I'm at it...

I dont think anyone has a good word about time,
my sister bought a £1000 laptop from them and was told if she didnt buy the extra's (printer case and a bit of software) she wouldn't get the back up discs, i dont know if that was the salesman's way of getting more money out of her or if thats thats the way you get a laptop from time, without the backup disc's ?

DieSse 00:25 23 Apr 03

Well, I have to say that you chose to buy it at the time (no pun intended), when you could have bought from anywhere - so who is to really blame??

You say "Next time I buy a laptop, I'll make sure that I get everything exactly as I want it, and make sure that it definately does it all" - well you should have done that in the first place - that you didn't is hardly the fault of the vendor, is it.

Steve27 00:55 23 Apr 03

Its galling to find you have bought a pig in a poke but at least you have given timely!!! warning to others who could make the same mistake.

Are you sure you cant do what you desire? On my Laptop these settings are accessed through Display Properties-Settings-Advanced. (Sorry if this is stating the obvious and you've already tried)

Inigo 18:55 23 Apr 03

When I bought my laptop, I had to buy the warrenty to get the backup discs. But then, warrently was useful when monitor died briefly...

When I was buying the laptop, Time seemed to be the best place to get it from - it's a speedy machine, with a mobile processor, and has a reasonable amount of hard disc space for a laptop. It's just a few things which I took as granted which weren't there.

When I bought the machine, it was advertised as being dual-screen compatible. I assumed that this meant multi-desktop support, not multi-monitor support, and to me this is what was also implied by the staff of the shop. Also, I thought that this was a natural capability of a laptop - another friend has a 3 year old Mac which can do it, and I asked at Dixons and they said that all laptops can do it too (although perhaps they were a little confused...).

I've gone through the display settings with a fine toothpick - there is no way to get it to use the laptop display and the TV at the same time at all, even mirroring. Multi-display has now been solved in a sort of fasion by me though - I bought a cheap desktop computer, and use that at the same time.

hellred 19:17 23 Apr 03

tell me what ports you have on this laptop

Then perhaps we can work out how to connect you to a TV. Or what exactly are you refering to when asking for multi desktop support, two monitors running at the same time showing different programs ?

Why did you not try all that in the shop before you bought this mashine ??

Inigo 19:57 23 Apr 03

I've had it working with the TV. Thing is, it can only display on either the TV or the laptop screen, not both. Was wanting the multi-desktop support as you said in your message.

I should have tried it out in the shop. Will definately do next time... I guess I was a bit quick in buying the machine - I was really wanting to stop using my old Pentium 100MHz machine at the time... :)

fitshase 20:37 23 Apr 03

There is normally an option or check box that says Extend Desktop onto this Monitor (or something along those lines).

If you can get the display on your TV then chances are you can get it on both.

If you post here what connections you have on the laptop and the steps you take to view the screen on the TV, I'm sure someone will have experience in doing this. I don't think it is the hardware as I think that this is software driven.

hellred 23:15 26 Apr 03

what you want is to watch tv and have the screen display the current running program, right !!

Small problem buddy, you need a tv card for that and for a laptop you will need an external type to achieve that. This is not standard on a laptop. What you probably saw at your mates was his media player running either a movie or a video stream over the net ( news channel......) whilst he had an application open. Thats do-able
If you want to just extend the desktop search for the software, i remember this being available.

Kyomii 01:58 27 Apr 03

It sounds like your friends has a graphics card with TV-out capabilities, which allows the graphics card to be utilised as a capture device for a TV screen, so that you can connect the laptop to a TV.

If your graphics card has not got TV-out, then you cannot connect it to the TV unless you purchase an external TV capture device.

TV capture is different than dual monitor/desktop support. Most (if not all) laptops have the port to connect a seperate monitor via the graphics card. I would be very surprised if yours did not have this port as it is a standard port.

This allows you to connect an external computer monitor so that you can have dual viewing angles via your laptop TFT monitor and the external PC monitor.

If you have had your laptop connected to the TV then your graphics has TV out like your freinds has.

Try to find the book that came with your laptop and let us know what capabilities/ports are available.

Kyomii 02:01 27 Apr 03

Sorry forgot to add:

<<<The second is the audio: his can do all kinds of different effects. OK, so this is hardly necessary and useful, but still... <<<

This is done via software and you are talking about "environment" settings for different effects.

Let me know what internal sound card you have and I should be able to link you with the relevant software to achieve this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…