Dual Core worth it?

bikemonkey 18:22 07 Jan 06

I've been looking at buying a notebook to play games, organise my digital life etc and had decided on something like an Evesham Voyager 710 plus - 256mb graphics, about 80gb hard drive and 512mb Ram. I stumbled across Rock's website and their dual core behemoth. Lo and behold, Dell followed and now have a dual core notebook. I had decided on a rock quattro T64 but is this dual core stuff a bandwagon worth jumping on? Will everything else be obsolete in 18 months? Hell, what is dual core?

I'm still basically a novice so any advice would be greatly appreciated

SG Atlantis® 18:52 07 Jan 06

Dual core is the way of the future.

It's 2 processors in 1. So you can run multiple intensive tasks efficiently.

My next system will have it. I'm not due to upgrade for another ten months though.

ade.h 18:56 07 Jan 06

Another ten months....

That's a very precise schedule, SG!

bikemonkey 19:02 07 Jan 06

OK, but does it blow everything else out of the water? Is a well specced 'single core' notebook better than a badly specced dual core? Will there be any compatibility problems with games?

Diodorus Siculus 19:08 07 Jan 06

It's not reached its full potential thus far as few programs have been written to take advantage of it. But it's the way ahead.

SG Atlantis® 19:12 07 Jan 06

ade.h

once a year. a new system.

I like to plan.

bikemonkey

A well specced based around a single core processor would beat a badly specced dual core one, I think, although the question isn't very good.

Games, you shouldn't really. There's not much about now that'll take the benefit of 2 cores, but the industry is headed that way.

Diodorus Siculus 19:20 07 Jan 06

Once a year a new system? - mine is more like Triggers brush - had it for 15 years with 12 new heads and 7 new handles.

ade.h 19:36 07 Jan 06

LOL.

Mine too!

I might buy a couple of new bits in an average year. Major core upgrades happen only once every four or five years.

Agree with your other points as well (I must avoid drifting off topic like I usually do!)

SG Atlantis® 19:45 07 Jan 06

Appologies as it's not my thread but...

I like having it all new, I usually sell the old one off, but as the next one will have Vista, if it's released on time I'll be keeping this XP one. As I or rather the missus has a tonne of games that I spent a fortune on.

bikemonkey

Buying dual core now is just future proofing your investment, we will eventually all be using software designed for dual cores.

We are heading towards multiple cores with less power/clock speed. Current processors are at the critical point where they won't get faster, so they are branching out and having multiple cores to accomodate this problem.

sharkfin 01:39 08 Jan 06

I remember when Hyper threading CPU's came out and we were all told that software has not been designed for it yet and that Hyper threading was the future.

I havent, heard or read much about HT recently and now with the Dual Core processors coming out, Will HT be put into the background and so will never really kick in as I suppose software designers will be designing for Dual Core. Or I could be mistaken and Dual Core and HT are the same?

Rayuk 09:40 08 Jan 06

And once you have decided to go dual core you then have the decision to make as to whether to go Intel or AMD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…