Dry cleaned jacket is ruined

gartoy 09:14 09 Mar 11

The dry cleaner said he followed the care instructions on the label, a "P" in a circle but the outer layer has broken down, he has written a letter on headed paper stating this. It says I should take the jacket & his letter to the shop I bought the jacket from to get a replacement/compensation, but here is my problem, I bought the jacket about a year ago & do not have the receipt, I have spent ages trying to get proof of purchase from my bank both online & over the phone but am unable to do so. I was going to go the the shop today but thought I might wait until the weekend when they will be very busy, I figured complaining in a busy shop might make the staff more likely to want to be seen to be providing providing good after sales service. I would just take it on the chin but this jacket cost me £110 which, to me, is a lot to spend on a jacket. Does anyone know what my chances of a replacement are?

Quickbeam 09:22 09 Mar 11

"complaining in a busy shop might make the staff more likely to want to be seen to be providing providing good after sales service"
That only works in small sole trader outlets.

I'd say that it's now your new gardening jacket.

gartoy 09:31 09 Mar 11

It really is good for nothing quickbeam, the top layer of material is in tatters, I wouldn't wear it taking rubbish to the tip!

HondaMan 09:43 09 Mar 11

Your claim would, at first instance, appear to be against the dry cleaner. He has to use reasonable care and the P symbol tells him what NOT to use, (See here click here)

I would be arguing that he did not use reasonable care and thus is liable. Why should the coat manufacturer be liable, unless, of course, the cleaning instructions are incorrect.

Ask him what exactly he did use to clean it, but I would suggest NOT showing him the label again at least until AFTER he has given an answer. Write it down carefully.

Let us know what happens.

oresome 10:35 09 Mar 11

"Does anyone know what my chances of a replacement are?"

Next to none, I'd guess, especially from the original retailer.

That's not to say you shouldn't expect some compensation but remember you've worn the jacket for a year.

I think the dry cleaner is being clever at trying to shift the blame. It's difficult to say who is at fault without expert analysis which will cost more than the jackets worth.

I'd press the dry cleaner for compensation, but be prepared to accept say £40.

spuds 12:49 09 Mar 11

Age as very little to do with this, because it is the responsibility of the cleaner to know the materials and the procedures that they use in cleaning an item.

If the item as disintegrated then this might prove certain things, like foam type linings, polyesters etc, which may have reacted towards the chemicals and procedures used. But the cleaner should be aware of these events, if they are reputable and know their job.

Going to the original shop, and causing a fuss isn't going to help you one bit, unless there is absolute proof, that there is something incorrect with the original manufacturing process and labelling.

I would contact Consumer Direct click here for the answer and possible solution. Does the cleaner company belong to a trade association, because there might a standards code of practice that you could use?.

anchor 13:22 09 Mar 11

Of course, you have only his word that he did not use Trichloroethylene, (now replaced with the similar Perchloroethylene), which should not be used with the P label.

Judging by the odour in most dry cleaners, that is generally what is used. I suspect this is what he did; though it is impossible to prove.

morddwyd 21:01 09 Mar 11

Definitely down to the cleaner.

It's his responsibility and his alone.

He has to prove "reasonable care" and it doesn't matter if the jacket is brand new or 500 years old, he accepted that he could do the job and he failed.

If he did exactly as he was supposed to, then he must take it up with the manufacturer of the jacket.

Take it up with Trading Standards.

Dragon_Heart 22:06 09 Mar 11

The shop may have a max value of compensation.

Do they have a service standard ?

If you get no joy at the shop is it part of a larger group ? If so try their head office informing them your next port of call will be Trading Standards.

BRYNIT 23:41 09 Mar 11

This should give you some advice click here PDF advice guide from the citizens advice bureau on dry cleaning.

HondaMan 10:11 10 Mar 11

I hadn't seen that before. It's an excellent bit of info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac