Drivers for Acer Laptop

NotVeryTechie 12:59 11 Feb 08

Hi there again

Still trying to make the decision regarding which laptop to purchase. I am looking at the Acer Aspire 7720Z, but I don't fancy Vista. So I am thinking of partitioning the disk and loading my XP on the partition. Problem is that Acer do not supply the computer's drivers with the system. Is there a way to get them? Is this a feasible option?

iambeavis 13:07 11 Feb 08

"XP" drivers for "Aspire 7720" - click here

Totally-braindead 13:11 11 Feb 08

I think you will find there are no XP drivers for this laptop.

NotVeryTechie 14:24 11 Feb 08

Does that mean that if you buy this machine you are stuck with Vista? The guys at acerdirect said they could load XP, but it would cost an extra £120!

Totally-braindead 16:50 11 Feb 08

Not being funny here but to do it yourself would cost at least £60 for a copy of Windows XP so their £60 charge doesn't sound too bad.
However, if the Acer website is right and there are no XP drivers how are they going to get it to run perfectly?

Perhaps it will run ok with the XP built in drivers but personally I wouldn't chance it.
If you really insist on XP get a laptop with XP installed on it. You will have to look about but they can still be found and I know Novatech do it and I think Dell still give that as an option.

I say theres no XP drivers for it because theres none on the website, the Vista drivers are there but theres no XP drivers, if it uses the built in ones then fair enough but I haven't seen a laptop that does this all the ones I have seen have their own drivers.

I think for the £120 Acer want you could buy another PC with XP preinstalled and a higher spec and still save money.

NotVeryTechie 17:11 11 Feb 08

It's worse than that Totally-braindead. As far as I can make out they don't give you the XP disks. They just preload it and load up whatever else you need and then charge you £120. They also charge an additional £12 if you select the option of getting a rescue disk, otherwise you are so stuffed if your system gets into difficulty. I am having very uncharitable thoughts about this lot. The thing is I don't know if there is anyone (in the low price range) that is not doing that. My reason for wanting to go with Acer is that I can get that serviced back in South Africa. I will be leaving the UK soon, so it is a big consideration for me. I am stressed and upset and angry about something that should be really exciting - my first ever laptop!! I am just so unsure what to do - it is a lot of money for me and I don't want to get this wrong. The main reason I don't want Vista is that I have quite a bit of software that I don't think will run on Vista and I don't see why I should replace everything just to make Microsoft that little bit richer.

Totally-braindead 17:16 11 Feb 08

South Africa? Did you have another thread going on the same subject as I recall someone mentioning Acer and SA before?

Before we get bogged down in trying find an Acer with XP specifically what programs are you talking about? You might find they do run on Vista ok.

NotVeryTechie 13:29 12 Feb 08

Hi there Totally-braindead

Yes it was me that had the previous thread. I was all set to get the latest model Acer, until I discovered that I couldn't run XP on it. Now I am trying to get as much info as possible so that I can decide what to do. This is a big expense for me and I don't think I'll be able to replace this computer in a hurry, so I have to decide well!

The software I am referring to is stuff like Nero, Photoshop, FilemakerPro and Office Professional. I also only play one single computer game, which is really 98 compatible, but will run on some versions of XP (Caesar III).

I hope you can help me! This is driving me nuts and I'm really stressed about the whole thing.

Totally-braindead 13:33 12 Feb 08

See if the programs you want to use are listed here click here

NotVeryTechie 13:57 12 Feb 08

I had a look at the list and it seems that a lot of my stuff won't run on Vista.

I am being told by the manufacturer that a laptop's disk can't be partitioned and that you can't boot from an external disk. Is this true? I was thinking of getting the XP computer, but then I could later put Vista on an external disk or even put Linux on a partition.

Sorry, not understanding a lot of this stuff!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…