Download speed checkers

frybluff 10:37 AM 18 Jan 12
Answered

I, occassionally, run a speed tester to check what I'm getting. I use the same one, each time, and usually get around 19 down 2 up. Fair enough, as I'm paying for 20. Yesterday, by accident, I used a different tester, which gave figures of 8 down and 2 up. I did try both twice, to insure it wasn't just a momentary "blip", and got different readings again. Now I'm confused. Is there any way to KNOW which is incorrect? Is there one that is, sort of, certified as being accurate? Many thanks.

spuds 11:20 AM 18 Jan 12

There no such thing as being 100% accurate, because different speed testers have their own way of doing things. One particular difference might be your locations, as to the server route the test uses. In England, there are three main route servers- London Docklands, Birmingham and Manchester.

If you use some ISP recommended speed tests, then you might be able to route via your own requirements. One site is http://www.speedtest.net give you the option, and is recommended by TalkTalk, when they do tests.

I use a number of speed test downloads for making a comparison, but I find that Jack Dinn's speed tester fairly good, because this allows you to do various other checks (trace/mtu etc), if the connection and speed requires checking.

wiz-king 14:42 PM 18 Jan 12
Answer

If you can spare the time run this one, most of it is free.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites