Download accelerator plus - worth it?

juniorsplat 19:42 15 May 07

I have been recommended to download Download accelerator plus but having seen it am wondering if anybody else thinks it is worth downloading it. I do download things sometimes but not too often.

Stuartli 19:55 15 May 07

I use FreshDownload from click here

It works with both dial-up and broadband, is absolutely ad free and has the advantage of being able to Resume or Pause a download; Resume is especially useful, if a website supports it, for those still on dial-up.

Totally-braindead 20:22 15 May 07

I had it, I think, when I was on dial up because it was so slow and would let you resume from part way through. But now I am on Broadband theres no point.

Stuartli 20:32 15 May 07

I get downloads of up to 800kbps with FreshDownload on "up to 8MB" broadband - it zips through big downloads in less time than it takes to blink.

Lot of difference from figures of 5-7kbps on dial-up..:-)

juniorsplat 21:09 15 May 07

thanks for your advice. I have broadband so will not bother.

Mike D 07:57 16 May 07

I agree with Stuartli; I too have broadband and I use Leechget (I used the free version and was so imppressed I paid for the premium version). I regularly get up to 800kbps as opposed to 2-400 if I disable Leechget.

Mike

Stuartli 09:07 16 May 07

Just to add to this subject. I have a "FreshDownload" Program Files folder (actually I'm on the third folder of this type) to which all downloads are initially sent.

This has two benefits. One is that downloads are easy to find and, secondly, the folder acts as a backup in case any download is required again.

The folder's most recent downloads are also burned regularly to a multisession CD-R as a second backup.

squillary 19:19 20 May 07

I used DAP for a while, now using Leechget. I can't tell the difference to be honest, but Leechget looks nicer to me, resumes downloads, collects them all to an identifiable folder, monitors the clipboard. Also, freeware.

click here

Mr Mistoffelees 09:39 21 May 07

Opera 9 is free and has it's own download manager capable of pausing and resuming downloads.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:41 21 May 07

I don't want to be reminded of "5-7kbps on dial-up" :-(

Stuartli 11:32 21 May 07

So, in fact, does Firefox...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…