Don't want Broadband!

wee eddie 17:40 21 Nov 03

It has been written here and elsewhere that 'bt' are trying to persuade it's customers to redeploy to Broadband.

It certainly seems that 'bt' are making life difficult for those on a 56k connection. My connection is getting progressively slower (a year ago connections were at 52k or better now I am lucky to get 50k). Connection now frequently requires several attempts and the server has dropped me on any number of connections.

But, here at work I only connect about 4 times a day, just long enough to download my mail and maybe send an order, I really don't want Broadband, with all its problems of permanently open connections etcetera.

sil_ver 19:16 21 Nov 03

Broadband connection is only open when you open it so it's not a problem. Your 56K connection is probably slower because of the takeup over the period between your subscribing and the present. You could always try another ISP.

A_World_Maker 19:56 21 Nov 03

Give tiscali 'pay as you go' as here

Stuartli 08:45 22 Nov 03

50 or 52kbps are just about the best speeds you can expect from a 56k dialup connection - in fact many people would give their right arm for such speeds...:-)

It depends on your ISP rather than BT. I get 49.2kbps with Tiscali but 50.7 or 52kpbs with Pipex.

Just be grateful you have what is a good dialup connection speed.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:31 22 Nov 03

I used to get 47-49k with gial up and I was ecstatic at these speeds. Puzzled......

wee eddie 11:50 22 Nov 03

Several newspaper articles have suggested that 'bt' are attempting to persuade their customers to convert to broadband by degrading their dial-up service.

Since posting this, I have considered that I would be happy if they removed all the spurious Shopping and Sport's report sites from the Home Page.

But the service has been dropped frequently which I felt may be a symptom of the malaise.

Stuartli 12:44 22 Nov 03

It's another case of the conspiracy zyndrome.

Stuartli 12:46 22 Nov 03

Stuartli 12:47 22 Nov 03

If you click on the forwards-backwards arrows at the bottom (in Word or similar) you will know if the unwanted page has been created.

Arnie 14:55 22 Nov 03

If you don't like your current home page change it as follows:

On your existing home page click on Tools, Internet options, General tab.
Then type your new home page address e.g. click here Apply then OK.

As far as I know this will work on all current Windows OS.

I use Google because of its varied choice of search modes. Another excellent site is: click here Of course there are many other choices of default home pages. I am on NTL broadband but never use their home pages.

Arnie 15:01 22 Nov 03

Sorry missed off the co.

This one. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…