Don't reply on Belkin Customer Support

askus2 17:25 26 Aug 09

I have used Belkin for many years and never had an issue with them, but a company is measured by how they respond when things go wrong.

I have had a Belkin Pre-N Router for the past couple of years, which has been fine until the last couple of weeks. When uploading a photo or I try to attach an attachment to an email, the router freezes and it needs to be rebooted. Up until that point the router works fine.

As Belkin products have a lifetime warranty I called their support line and they confirmed the router was faulty and I was passed to customer services to arrange the new router. This is where it all went wrong.

As I run a business from home I need an internet connection (even an internet connection that does not work too well) so Belkin said I had to return the router and then they would send me out a new router which means I would not have an internet connection for a few days.

I asked them if there was a way of collecting the router when they delivered the new one - NO.
I asked if I could collect the new router from Northampton -NO
I asked if they would take my credit card details and if I did not return the faulty router within a week they could charge me for the new one -NO
I asked if there was any way they could help me so my business did not have any downtime -NO
They asked me "If the internet is so vital why do you not have a backup?" to which I replied "If your process does not meet your customers expectations why do you not have a backup process or a work around?"

Conclusion

I have to admit I do like Belkin products; however; I would recommend not buying one as their customer service will not meet your expectations if anything was to go wrong with that product. Lifetime Guarantee? as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

BRYNIT 17:53 26 Aug 09

Why blame Belkin.

They have offered to replace the fault item. If it had completely failed you would of had no internet connection and wouldn't have come to this conclusion.

Spark6 19:32 26 Aug 09

I cannot speak too highly of Belkin's lifetime guarantee. How many other manufacturers can you name that offer this assurance for reasonably priced computer equipment?
I have had two occasions when I have used this facility and each time Belkin have fulfilled their promise.
P.S. If I was dependant on a computer for my livelihood I would try to ensure I had two of everything associated with the fickle beast!

interzone55 20:31 26 Aug 09

Many couriers are one way only, for insurance reasons the delivery driver is unable to collect parcels.

If your internet connection is critical to your business you should have a spare router in case the main router fails.

wee eddie 20:49 26 Aug 09

All they asked was Proof of Purchase to be sent with the Product, a replacement came by Return.

The whole thing took less than a week.

I have to assume that your Business relies on various pieces of Equipment.

Such items are described as "Mission Critical" and a backup piece is par for the course.

In my Restaurant, the Cookers, Refrigerators and the Dishwasher fitted into such a category. As the Cookers were £3,500.00 +VAT each and Catering Grade refrigerators rarely cost much less than £1000.00 each, it was a wedge of capital. The backup for the Pass-through Dishwasher (just short of £5,000.00) was 2 sinks and £80 a day in extra wages + a lot of aggravation. If you can't do without it ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Plan for its failure.

Forum Editor 23:17 26 Aug 09

and you rely on an internet connection it seems to me that Belkin's comment is valid - why don't you have a backup router? I'm in more or less the same situation, and I wouldn't dream of being without a spare.

I've used Belkin products for a long time, and I've always found the company's customer service to be excellent. Telling people to avoid buying from a company because of a single bad experience like this is quite ludicrous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced