Doe's the retailer need our business !!.

spuds 18:19 10 Aug 03

Needing another printer,I checked out various prices via magazines and the internet.I settled for the Lexmark X5150.Prices for this model ranged from instore,£149.99 to £129.95 [PCW] £119.99 [Argos]. Internet £112.65 +£4.99 p/p [eBuyer] £109.95 with free delivery [Comet].All the above should come with a further £20 money back promotional offer.

I contacted the main Comet national phone number,asking information about my local Comet store.The call centre supplied me with various information, suggesting that I give them my credit card details, so that free delivery or collection from my local Comet store.Stating that I wasn't sure about giving credit card details over the phone, would I be able to go to the local store and collect the item and give my credit card details there. Further conversation regarding local store stocks [checked] and money back promo offer and collection from store. Great, everything fine. They have the stock in the local store ready for collection etc.

Visited the local store this morning, and contacted the Help desk, explaining telephone conversation and producing internet print-out.Given printer from stock shelf and told to pay at checkout.Arrives at Checkout,details put into till and then told £119.97 please.Repeated conversation as held at Help desk. Printer price was agreed at £109.95 and not £119.97.Cutting story short, manager requested, and details explained once again.Manager insisted that the price was £119.97 in store and the £109.95 was for internet orders only, and no sale at £109.95 was possible.The instore price was £119.97 and that was it, take it or leave it.The manager then stated, that the call centre should have given me the in-store price, as I would have been dealing with the store direct . Methinks right, lets try this with the manager."What you are telling me, is no way can you sell me the printer at £109.95.I have to return home, make a phone call to Comet's main phone number.Purchase the printer via telephone. The call centre staff will notify you by return. I have to return to the store and collect the printer, all possibly within the hour".The manager agreed with this procedure. I then left the store minus the said printer, had second thoughts, and returned to store. I asked the manager' if I could use the stores phone,paying for the call if necessary, so saving me a couple of journeys.The manager agreed on this, but the problem now,no external phones available.After quite alot of humming and arring by the manager, it was agreed that a sale could commence.But the manager insisted that the sale ticket stated 'discount due to inconvenience by call centre'.Made my purchase for £109.97 as they could only deduct £10.00 discount via their system. But whose going to argue over 2pence.Perhaps I might (;o).

Nearby to Comet is a branch of PCW.Just for the dare, I made a quick visit, and asked if they could price match.After carefull consideration PCW could pricematch Comet's price.Boy was I saving money this morning.

Should add further. The Lexmark X5150 purchased direct from Lexmark internet, if you lived in the USA. Would cost you a staggering $149.99 less promo discount of $50.00 = £62.37 [e87.92]. Who says the UK's cheap!!.

pj123 18:32 10 Aug 03

You may be saving money on the printer, but check out the cost of ink cartridges.

spuds 23:33 10 Aug 03

Did a price check. Cartridges not much dearer than my vintage HP. Compatibles can be obtained much cheaper, from my locally based supplier.

Forum Editor 23:50 10 Aug 03

and indeed it is, to a degree, but it's not uncommon. Store managers are limited in the amount of discretion they have, and company policies are very clearly laid down. I have, on several occasions experience much the same thing with the Dixons group - prices of the same item vary considerably between a Currys branch and a PCWorld branch not ten minutes apart. Both companies are part of the same organisation, yet both trade completely independently of each other.

That's the way it is in consumer electronics retailing.

llbgeezer 00:58 11 Aug 03

i want everybody who intends to replace a computer this year to mail me and tell me what they would buy... then, when enough people have opted for the same system put in a bid with the manufacturer direct... saving us all money!!

tenaka 10:17 11 Aug 03

Do you really think you'll find more than 2 people who want the same system?

You are more likely to be better off all going for build your owns. If you get a fair number of people sign up, the likelihood of people wanting the same components is higher.

tenaka 10:18 11 Aug 03

damn, hijacked thread, sorry.

pj123 14:49 11 Aug 03

Forum Editor, I know what you mean. I went to Currys to get an advertised Digital Camera at a ridiculous price, needless to say they didn't have any left. PC World is actually next door, so I popped in and they had plenty at the same price as the Currys advertised price. Why couldn't Currys have told me that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…