DOES HALF LIFE 2 BREACH SALE OF GOOD ACT

madmonk 20:44 22 Nov 04

I purchased Half Life 2 then spent the next 20 hours or more trying to validate it. It's not mentioned on the packaging that a major part of the game has to be downloaded. Effectively it doesn't do what it says on the packet, which I thought was a breach of the sale of goods act.
Anyone know if that's right or wrong?

PS I beleive the gold version comes with a free bottle of prozac.

iscanut2 21:05 22 Nov 04

I agree that it is not clear on paclaging, but no part of the game is downloaded by connecting to Steam. It is just a way od validating a legit copy. Sorry it took 20 hours ! After a couple of abortive attempts ( due to problems with Steam's servers ), I validated in 15 mins or so, regitsered and was then playing.

spuds 21:06 22 Nov 04

Consult with the trading standards available to you. They will have the answer.

Sir Radfordin 21:55 22 Nov 04

Even if the answer to your question is yes what difference is it going to make? I bet somewhere on the package or in the EULA which you should be able to see before installing the game it will state that you have activate the product in the way you have experienced.

In the grand scale of things 20 hours should be seen as 20 hours of life gained and not 20 hours in front of a computer screen ;)

BITS&BOBS 21:56 22 Nov 04

Took me 5 mins and the guy in game adv me of the process and need for net connection to play.

And with my 6800 GT it was worth it.

Forum Editor 23:37 22 Nov 04

How's that then?

What does it say it will do?

Cook2 00:32 23 Nov 04

Sale of Goods Act says it must be of merchantable quality and fit for its purpose.

You won't know that until you have validated it.

Sir Radfordin 09:18 23 Nov 04

And the purpose of a computer game is what exactly?

Starfox 18:46 24 Nov 04
  Cook2 18:55 24 Nov 04

Cook2
And the purpose of a computer game is what exactly?

'Frustration' maybe? So now all we have to know is if it's of Merchantable Quality. </;))

Urotsukidoji 10:50 25 Nov 04

unfortunatly it appears that the way HL2 is validated is the next stage in anti piracy "war" that is ongoing.

It does say on the box a net connection is required. however the only thing you d/l when you register the product is the decryption keys to unpack the software you have installed.

it does take a while to decrypt, took me 30 mins but my system is old now :'(

it is a bloody good game though!

enjoy it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…