Does clicking shopping basket constitute an order?

canard 21:30 18 Dec 03

In Sept I clicked shopping basket but did not complete at checkout in CDWow. Price was £14.99. In Dec I checked out for the same DVD at £7.99 and it said £7.99. However the email that followed said £14.99. So I emailed them and asked to have the price put right and they emailed me back saying that the Sept shopping basket click constituted an order and that I'm stuck with the £14.99. Now I've failed to complete at checkouts before when conscience gets the upper hand and returned and completed the order at later dates when I felt justified in treating myself so find the whole thing surprising. Are CDWOW correct in saying that I must pay the Sept price and have I just been lucky?

Jester2K II 21:39 18 Dec 03

So you put item A in the shopping basket at £14.99 in Sept.

You didn't complete the order.

Then in December you completed the order using the items already in the shopping cart.

But the items where NOW on sale for £7.99

You have been charged £14.99

Questions -

What did the checkout say when you agreed to pay and handed over the Credit Card details??

Is the NOW price of £7.99 correct or an error on the website?

canard 22:09 18 Dec 03

Checkout said £7.99 when I paid. Now price £7.99.

canard 22:10 18 Dec 03

But I completed the order as I reshopped from basket to checkout.

canard 22:13 18 Dec 03

Senior moments O dear! No the NOW price was not corrected when I asked.

ralaw 23:50 18 Dec 03

Clicking on the basket may mean that you are required to pay the price that you agreed to ie £7.99. Contractually you are right . You could sue them for the difference but the fee to submit claims is 28 pounds. (I have sued for 6.99 so sometimes it is worth it just to prove a point)

My advice is to rely on the Distance Selling Directive which allows a period for cooling off for internet orders. You are entitled to about 7 days from the date of delivery to return an order - no reason is required and the company concerned must issue a full refund without deducting postage costs. Further details are on the DTI website.

Jester2K II 07:45 19 Dec 03

Can you not cancel the order and start again?

Stuartli 09:36 19 Dec 03

Normally you can cancel an order even though details have been entered, providing it is done before hitting the send button.

It would seem that your browser has retained the details from September in some way.

However, the main puzzle is the time gap of three months.

Did you query why the DVD had not been delivered if you were supposed to have ordered it back in September?

Jester2K II 12:10 19 Dec 03

From above "In Sept I clicked shopping basket but did not complete at checkout in CDWow" & "Now I've failed to complete at checkouts before when conscience gets the upper hand"

Some sites allow you to hold a shopping basket for months so you can build up a collection of "stuff i'd like to buy" and they pay for it when you want it. I guess this is what canard did.

Canard states he/ she did put the items in the basket was didn't complete the order for another 3 months.

canard 13:12 19 Dec 03

No my browser can not have retained the details because the PC has been wiped and windows reinstalled in Oct [isignup in IE going into an infinite loop].The info MUST have been retained by CDWOW. When CDWOW emailed that they had sent the order I wouldn't have noticed the price discrepancy but for the nonarrival of the DVD, which involved my checking up. CDWOW then said they'd sent it again but clearly hadn't because yesterday there was another email saying they'd just sent the DVD. I don't normally deal with CDWOW because it's not my sort of thing but I do get stuff for the grandchildren [xmas shopping, little treats] whose thing it very much is. Thank everyone for their input as I had no idea about these rules and regs. Thank goodness play.com and 101CD gon't operate on this system- I'd be bustamente!

Stuartli 13:53 19 Dec 03

..this first class online source:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac