Does buying more RAM make a cheap laptop worth it?

MoRog 14:28 24 Sep 07

Hi, looking to get a laptop for standard emailing / music / photos etc. The one that's caught my eye is a Toshiba Satellite T2080:

click here

would prob be looking to add an extra G of RAM though.

What I'm a bit confused about is there are cheaper laptops out there - if you buy a couple of Gs extra Ram then does this make it perform the same as the more expensive laptops?

Just a bit confused as to what criteria I should be using to refine my search....

Thanks!! Mo

techie4me 15:35 24 Sep 07

When i bought my Toshiba from Toshiba in January the only thing it lacked was RAM.
Toshiba wanted £100 to add 512MB, instead i bought the Laptop and bought 512MB from Crucial for £40.
It took all of 30seconds to install it.

Micheal Knight 09:34 25 Sep 07

Yes buying more RAM would make your laptop perform much better, Especially if you have Windows Vista on there. I just bought a Toshiba L30-11D Laptop from Ebuyer. It came standard with 512MB RAM, so I spent an extra £25 on a 1GB module. Everything totalled upto ££325 including delivery (which arrived quicker than expected). When the laptop came, with the 512MB it was a bit sluggish. As soon as I stuck the extra 1GB in, the difference could be seen straight away. Definately worth every penny.

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant