Documents 'READ ONLY' after Windows 10 install

Peter Lanky 07:44 03 Aug 15

When trying to open files in 'My Documents' after installing Windows 10 I get the message -

"Document file 'myfile.odt' is locked for editing by: Unknown User Open document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing"

I was initially able to solve this by seeking online help where I found the following:

Follow the steps below to grant you full access to folder.

Right-click the folder - Properties.

Security tab - Advanced.

Click Change to the right of Owner.

Enter Users into box and click OK.

Enable the checkbox Replace owner on subcontainers and objects then click Apply.

If prompted that You do not have permissions to read.. click Yes.

Completely close out of the Advanced Security Settings dialog.

Right-click the folder - Properties.

Security tab - Edit.

Add...

Enter Users into box and click OK.

Enable the Full Control checkbox then click OK.

This worked, but after closing down the PC, the next time I tried, the problem had returned.

I had the same problem with the 'Pictures' folder, and seem to have permanently sorted this by opening command prompt as administrator and typing:

attrib -r e:\Picures

However, when I try this with attrib -r e:\My Documents I get the message 'Format parameter not correct -

So I have 2 questions

1) Why is this happening?

2) How do I execute the attrib command with 'My Documents? (being 2 words)

sunnystaines 09:41 03 Aug 15

got the same copy file to desktop change name, delete original and put copy back that is what i have been doing.

BA2 7HX 22:33 09 Aug 15

You are lucky, my only solution so far is to remember to open any application with "run as administrator" it is not good. Any ideas?

Forum Editor 19:28 13 Aug 15

That was the only glitch I encountered when I ran the Windows 10 upgrade. All my documents had altered file permissions. It took about ten minutes to change the permissions on the folders, and all was well.

Peter Lanky 19:30 13 Aug 15

I'd tried that too, but after closing down and rebooting, the permissions reverted back to being Read Only.

AndrewMarkham 21:06 13 Aug 15

You need to create a HomeGroup on your PC, via Control Panel HomeGroup

Forum Editor 22:36 13 Aug 15

Peter Lanky

That didn't happen to me, everything reverted to normal once I reset the permissions. I have had no further problems of any kind.

Forum Editor 22:38 13 Aug 15

AndrewMarkham

How would setting up a Homegroup have any effect on file permissions? I certainly didn't need to do it.

Peter Lanky 23:22 13 Aug 15

I've solved the problem by moving my documents back to my c:\ drive which is a SSD, but it's not how I had planned my file organisation as space is limited on this drive, only being 120GB.

Burn-it 15:56 15 Aug 15

Did you try "taking ownership" of the folder. That should work.

Peter Lanky 16:55 15 Aug 15

Yes, both as myself personally, and as administrator.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos