Do you use Counterspy?

Forum Editor 08:39 24 Feb 07

If you do, have you noticed how 'Active protection' slows browser page loading when it's turned on? It's very irritating.

Do other anti-spyware programs have the same effect - which is your personal favourite?

sunny staines 08:56 24 Feb 07

using spyware terminator,nis2007 & windows defender for real time protection dont get any adverse effects.

also have spybot S&D & Spywareblaster as blockers their ok too.

Totally-braindead 09:22 24 Feb 07

I do and I must admit I haven't. I'll switch it off later and see what happens.

Input Overload 10:34 24 Feb 07

I updated a few days ago to version 2.1.917, it slowed y Pc down enormously esp. with opening & closing applications. The odd thing is that it doesn’t use a large amount of memory or CPU usage, it just slows things down. I tried installing it again & with other apps turned off etc to no avail.

In the end I removed Counterspy & now use Vista compatible SuperAnti-Spyware which doesn’t cause any slowdown whatsoever & I ended up buying the full version. After the amount of time Counterspy 2.x was in beta it’s hard to understand how Sunbelt can release a program that slows a Pc down to the degree that Counterspy does.

J B 10:35 24 Feb 07

I thought that running more than one real time protection software would cause clashes with NIS 2007. I do know that Windows Defender causes no end of errors with Norton I/S, that is why I uninstalled it. I have to ask, does spyware terminator cause the same problem? J.B.

Jackcoms 11:29 24 Feb 07

Windows Defender + SpywareBlaster works for me.

Totally-braindead 11:46 24 Feb 07

I've disabled it and not really noticed any difference. Since the FE has noticed it and Input Overload has also noticed it I wonder what I'm doing wrong - if anything.

Forum Editor 12:33 24 Feb 07

As you're no doubt aware, the Active protection component in Counterspy inspects every web page for problems before it allows your browser to display it. It's this inspection process that momentarily stops everything in its tracks.

The delay is a small one, but it's there - I can easily detect the difference in IE 7.0 running in Vista ultimate. Turn off Active protection and the pages load faster.

Curio 18:47 24 Feb 07

No major speed loss. As with Input Overload, opening and closing applications can take an age. Subscription due shortly so will investigate other software before I am due to resubscribe.

Totally-braindead 19:31 24 Feb 07

Forum Editor can I ask if it makes a difference to the speed the page loads at if its a website you go to all the time. What I mean is if its been checked all the time does it still make a difference to the speed because I'm using IE7 and Windows XP and if there is a difference in speed then I'm just not seeing it.

Totally-braindead 19:33 24 Feb 07

Should have added my subscription is due in April and I was seriously considering not renewing it anyway and having a try of the free spywareblaster instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced