Do you, or would you use Skype?

SB23 16:35 13 Feb 07

The reason that I ask is the fact that my father in law has been considering using it, and when we spoke on the weekend he started quizzing me about it.
Not knowing alot about the free service, I said that I would try and find out more.
Does it depend on the type of connection that you have, does it actually matter etc, etc.
We are both on Aol silver, but I'm really not sure if its worth it, as I have been told that the sound quality can be bad at times.
I would be grateful for any information.

Thanks

Steve

marjted 17:07 13 Feb 07

I use Skype regularly to chat online - use webcam too- with my grandchildren, the youngest being 3 years old. Excellent from my perspective. Nice to have visual contact too.

Stuartli 17:09 13 Feb 07

I've used Skype for several years and the only problem I've had is with the sound on occasions - switching off the webcam boosts the bandwidth and the sound is then OK.

You need to check very carefully how to configure Skype for sound - it's completely different to what you would think is the logical route.

Plenty of help on the Skype website.

flycatcher1 19:11 13 Feb 07

I have been using Skype for some time and find it excellent for UK, N. America and S. African calls. Quality as good, or better, than "normal" calls. Cheap as well very good for we posbie types!!

amonra 19:30 13 Feb 07

Used it for ages, brilliant !
It does work better if you use a headset and mike, no echo or feedback. In regular use to contact family all over the globe.

SB23 19:41 13 Feb 07

Thanks for your replies.
What about the type of phone. My father in law told me that he has purchased a usb type. Are there any differences, and is the basic use of Skype really free?

Kate B 19:43 13 Feb 07

It's terrific - I get to wave goodnight to my nieces in Italy. I use a webcam with a microphone built in, but my Dad uses a USB handset, which I suspect feels more natural.

Yes, Skype-to-Skype calls over the internet are free. It's only when you start calling landlines with it that it starts costing money, but I don't think it's particularly expensive

Stuartli 19:46 13 Feb 07

The one thing to watch, apparently, with USB phones is that they may configure your audio setup as the Default device, rather than your onboard chipset or sound card.

SB23 19:47 13 Feb 07

Its looking good so far. I could even get my old webcam out, dust it off, and start using it a again.

SB23 19:50 13 Feb 07

I can only assume at this point, that its easy to reconfigure. I would probably be ok, but my father in law may struggle a little. I'll have to warn him, but other than that its tempting to give it a try.

iscanut 20:26 13 Feb 07

Like everyone else it seems, I have used it for a long time now, Spain, Australia, New Zealand & USA. No problems at all apart from the odd crash now and again , but not very often.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5