Do you get what you pay for?

Rosa33 13:03 23 Oct 03

I am about to buy a new PC and for the first time in my life budget is not my primary concern. After research I have found I can achieve what I would like for £1000-£1500 but I would pay more if it was perfect (though I do realise this is very much a matter of diminishing returns).

My question is do I get better build/support/components from smaller companies and/or paying more?

The bigger companies do have great deals that are very tempting but they get a lot of bad reports on forums like this and many others. I realise that a few disgruntled customers do not represent the whole company performance, but when someone has been treated shabbily, it is very off-putting.

Conversly the smaller companies have fewer reviews and less press and so are harder to judge.

I know there are no perfect companies (and would be deeply suspicious if anyone claimed they were), but surely there must be some reliable firms out there?

I am quite interested in a Poweroid system, but they seem quite pricey. I also like a good value Systemax PC but I would have to go through Simply Computers and a quick search on this forum with their name is a little worrying.

Any advice would be helpful.

TIA,

Rosa33

Stuartli 13:59 23 Oct 03

Your price range should be more than sufficient for a first class system with top grade components from the major online outlets such as Dell, Mesh, Evesham etc or built to your specs by a small, perhaps local, firm.

Notwithstanding the fact that it will either be 1) cheaper in a few weeks' time or 2) have an even better specification for the same price, you should not take too much notice of individuals' complaints about this or that company.

The major suppliers each build thousands of systems annually and, by sheer weight of numbers, there are bound to be some customer complaints.

These may not be the system builders' fault - supplied components may be faulty or go faulty shortly after first use, or the customers themselves may actually cause the problem because they don't know what they are doing.

I would do some research, work out the specification and software you require for your needs and then look for a supplier or system builder who will deliver it equipped with top grade components, hardware etc. Get the specification fully detailed in writing.

Just ensure that the warranty is of an equally high standard, pay for it by credit card and you shouldn't go far wrong...:-)

Djohn 17:03 23 Oct 03

I agree fully with Stuartli's post above. Just like to add another supplier to look at. They are well recommended but not mainstream and they do some excellent systems, both in quality and looks. So if you want to be just a little different, have a look at what this company has to offer. click here

Falkyrn 17:21 23 Oct 03

Systemax PC's are also available through click here Misco.co.uk

pj123 17:23 23 Oct 03

You could also take a look at these two. click here and click here

Stuartli 23:54 23 Oct 03

Somebody also mentioned a firm in Aberdeen (or Ayr or similar) in Scotland a few days ago, which has gained a good reputation.

Apparently it's run by a couple of young people who started it whilst they were teenagers.

DieSse 00:22 24 Oct 03

You should get the components you pay for. By which I mean, if you go to a local supplier who has a good reputation, you can ask them to build you a PC using specific name components. At least taht way you know exactly what you are getting.

With any help you can get, including here, you could draw up a good list of components, right down to the case and PSU manufacturer. Your system builder can then quote you for these, and you can check back against any alternatives you may be offered.

You could also specify what software you wanted - that the software be updated to the latest versions, and that the system was well tested, and delivered and installed by the loacl supplier.

You will pay extra, but you can still get a good system within your price point.

I beleive this is as close as you will get to the "best". bEar in mind something may fail at any time, and this is not often the fault of the supplier. How they handle any failures is very important of course.

If you give us some idea of the specification you want, people will be only too happy to advise on specific products to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…